VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice

Rate this topic

Hi all

I just had a meeting with my therapist. 2 weeks ago she said she would change my psychiatrist because he only sees me every six months, didn't know my med history during the last time I saw him, and doesn't know my name after 3 years. She finally told me today that I have to setup an appointment with him (the soonest is in JULY) because only he can change it from himself to someone else (meaning another appointment to wait for after that) ;) I'm SC 70% Severe Depression and I thought my access to care would be pretty solid.

To boot, when I asked her about dealing with social anxiety, the only other option she gave me was to see interns. Not reasonable - I want someone with some clinical experience...i told her that if I worked for a company and I was selecting insurance for mental health care, NOBODY would check the "See an intern" box on the form. She says "This isn't a company, it is the VA".

In the meantime, my depression is getting worse and another week until I see her. I feel as if the process is broken and that the VA is just waiting until it gets bad enough for me to go inpatient or they just don't care. This is very frustrating, especially with worsening symptoms and I would really welcome any advice. Every time I go to walk-in, I get a different person who doesn't know me or my file and basically just asks when my next appointment with my therapist is.

Thanks much

Dante

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I just had a meeting with my therapist. 2 weeks ago she said she would change my psychiatrist because he only sees me every six months, didn't know my med history during the last time I saw him, and doesn't know my name after 3 years. She finally told me today that I have to setup an appointment with him (the soonest is in JULY) because only he can change it from himself to someone else (meaning another appointment to wait for after that) ;) I'm SC 70% Severe Depression and I thought my access to care would be pretty solid.

To boot, when I asked her about dealing with social anxiety, the only other option she gave me was to see interns. Not reasonable - I want someone with some clinical experience...i told her that if I worked for a company and I was selecting insurance for mental health care, NOBODY would check the "See an intern" box on the form. She says "This isn't a company, it is the VA".

In the meantime, my depression is getting worse and another week until I see her. I feel as if the process is broken and that the VA is just waiting until it gets bad enough for me to go inpatient or they just don't care. This is very frustrating, especially with worsening symptoms and I would really welcome any advice. Every time I go to walk-in, I get a different person who doesn't know me or my file and basically just asks when my next appointment with my therapist is.

Thanks much

Dante

I found similar problems and gave up on the VA. I now go to the vet center, and recommend the same to you. You will still have to get meds somewhere, because the vet center does not prescribe meds. But, I think you will like it there better.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

If you need to see someone go as a walk in. It will take all day but someone will see you before you leave. If they don;t help you see patient advocate.

It is not right for you to have to get permission from a Doc who has failed you in first place.

The fact is when you go to VA you have a very good chance of dealing with interns and it is rare to get a Doc who stays for a while

dante,

I sure agree with Bergie and suggest you check to see if there

is a Vet Center in your area.

It's SOP to only see the psychiatrist a few times each year as they

are mainly for MH medication management at VA.

Most Vet Centers are located away from the VAMC's.

Here's a link to help you research the Vet Centers.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/index.asp

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

At my VAMC, I was/am seen for therapy with a Psychologist...meds were orderes via Psychiatrist....Psyciartist too buzy...had intern Psychiatrist for 9 mths...last 2 yrs meds from FNP in MH Clinic.

BTW have been to Vet Clinics before and they have ordered medications(Physician) for medical issues/diagnoses too.

Clinic is 25 miles away and in another State, and VAMC is 137 miles away in same State.

I agree with what others have written. My husband has been in VA psych for about 30 years +

Psychiatrists prescriibe and monitor the meds only.

Pyschologists do threpy as do the social workers, etc.

If you need help with therapy i.e. group individual, and you social anxiety then definately go to a vet center. They seem to have the best methods and counselling for social anxiety etc. I would suggest group therapy BECAUSE of the social anxiety. Basically your average tight knie group of vets all trying to do the same things, and can help you build some good friendships to help you with the anxiety.

You do not need permission from your current psychiatrist to change to another one. Your Primary Care team should have a social worker attached to it, who can make the change for you and do refer you for another psych. THis would be a great place to start. Some PCP teams don't have this in which case your next best bet it to talk to customer services normally found in the paitent advocate office, or the patient advocate themselves if they are good.

Good Luck, and don't take no for an answer! :D