VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd For Ssdi Versus Va

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I wanted to ask those who have ssdi if they look for different info for ssdi versus va. I have the dx and am wondering what they will be looking for, for my approval for ssdi.

Thnx for any info you can give me.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

CM, I'm going through this now, still at the applying stage. I'm interested to know the answer, too. If I have to drag up the past and prove the 'why' behind my problems, I'm not thrilled about that at all. :D

Edited to add: It's my understanding, though, that what they want to know about is the medical history of your condition, not how it got started. So they want to know what dr's you've seen, for what, what did they prescribe, etc. Also, they'll want to know about your work history.

I gather that they're looking to see how severe your condition is, what work you've done and might be capable of. To me, PTSD makes it hard to do anything, because one day you can open your mail, the next day you can't even open the door to get the paper off the porch. Maybe you can post a message on a web board today, but for the next 3 days you won't be able to face even turning your computer on. Or maybe the next month.

That's my take on it.

Edited by hedgey

I agree that is my issue also. Some days i feel ok others i cannot even get out the bed. Sometimes cant process a thought.

That is my problem. I am concerned if my med records articulate this well or no. I am hoping someone can give us some info on this so we can have a better understanding.

• HadIt.com Elder

What SSA cares about is "can you work"? Your doctor report must say in no uncertain terms that you cannot work for at least one year due to your medical conditions. SSA does not care about stressors or all details. They want to here that you cannot work.

• HadIt.com Elder

In my opinion dealing with SS was much easier than VA.

They will probably make you see a Doc or 2 and will answer your questions. Like John said the main thing that they are interested in is can you work and for a Doc to tell them you can't work for a year.

What many don't know is the work for a year question goes away if you are turned down and a year passes and you don't work. But like the VA you have to make a statement and ask again.

In my opinion dealing with SS was much easier than VA.

They will probably make you see a Doc or 2 and will answer your questions. Like John said the main thing that they are interested in is can you work and for a Doc to tell them you can't work for a year.

What many don't know is the work for a year question goes away if you are turned down and a year passes and you don't work. But like the VA you have to make a statement and ask again.

I don't have a doc who's said I can't work... the option just never comes up since I'm such a mess. I haven't worked since 1998. I've been under the care of a psychiatrist/therapist most of that time, and intensively for the past two years. My GAF has never been higher than 48. I was told last October I couldn't go back to school via Voc Rehab, though I qualified, because of my medical condition. My PCP and the VR psychologist thought I couldn't handle it. I have a letter from him, but she never mentioned it in my records...

Think any of that will help me?

I am in the same boat. We talk about my issues and symptoms but we never discuss I cant work no matter how hard it so for me to leave my house. I just got some info from the lady over vetwow to print and talk to her about. I am going to take it with me tomorrow.