VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety W/agrophobia Added To Ptsd

Rate this question

BigCountryVet

Question

Greetings to all my fellow vets. This is my first time using this forum and I am very pleased with what I've read through thus far. Ok... When I first got out of the Army in January 2006 I did my initial eval and was eventually given 70% service connected disability for ptsd. Today, I went to the va clinic to be reevaluated for compensation. Not only did the doctor maintain that I had ptsd (he noted that it actually has become more severe which was plainly obvious before i even did the interview), but he mentioned that it was very evident that I have acquired anxiety disorder with agorophobia (fear of public places). My ultimate question is this: if this new diagnosis of "anxiety disorder with agorophobia" is concurred with the review board will they increase my rating from the already 70% for ptsd or what? If they do in fact increase it, does any of it get backdated? I'd really appreciate any help I could get. I feel like I'm in the dark here in west Texas. Thanks yall...

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks, man. It's tough because I'm thinking this: They hear that I have a job right now and they probably think I'm of sound enough mind to stay out in public. The only problem with that is every single day at my job I get those symptoms. I avoid the crowds, I hate it when that God forbidden breakroom gets an influx of people, and I want to jump through the phone and rip off the head of the idiots that call me complaining. There's just somethin about being around crowds of people that automatically increases my heartrate, makes me sweat unexpectedly, and i'm always thinkin people are staring at me or thinking they're thinking negatively about me while staring at me. it's embarrassing as heck when they ask me why i havent completed my tasks (i forget within minutes if i dont write down the instruction the second it is delegated to me) .... it's so much easier when i just come home from work and stay there and dont have to deal with anybody. Guys, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm throwing a pity party but it doesnt seem like anyone i know here understands me with the exception of my wife. I look forward to all yall's replies... I can already feel the brotherhood and I've only been on hadit for less than a week.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its not all together based on how often you leave your house. It has more to do with how are you able to function due to agoraphobia. For instance the last time I renewed my drivers license was 1994. I can go to VA and to some places I consider safe without help. In 1996 I traveled a bit with my family.

I rarely go to movies and I love new movies.I don't go places where there are people I don't know or care for. I don't go anywhere by myself I at least have my dogs with me.

I sometimes stay inside my house for weeks and even months. It just depends.

According to what I know the VA does not penalize you for being able to go to Doc appointments and other things necessary.

Last winter I met Notorious Kelly and he brought his dog and cat and I brought my dogs. It was also cold which I can do more.

So I miss appointments and don't attend events and am considered unreliable by many of my friends.

The true definition of agoraphobia is fear of open spaces and most agoraphobics have their own things. Like driving over a bridge, being in an elevator or locked up. Not being able to take an MRI would be a form of agoraphobia.

Not to throw stones but if you have to ask you probably are not.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are severe cases of agrophobia where the person has not been out of their house for years. That is a form of phobic disorder that can totally disable a person. When the person's phobia is triggered they have a panic attack.

I appreciate everybody's input up to this point. trazodone is what they want me to start for my gross inability to maintain a sleep regimen... or any sleep at all. I fear that if I don't start that regimen my sleep (or lack thereof) will become worse. Second they are also trying to get me started on citalopram (my civilian doc had me on lexapro) for depression. He said if, before i get into the swing of things on these two meds my anger still remains an issue (if??? ... my wife and i both agree that it's quite challenging to wrangle without help) he wants to get me on something to regulate my outbursts of rage. Well, there's the beginning of my daily handful of "skittles". Any comments or input on these meds could benefit me to know yall. Thanks again.... :blink:

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry that I offended you I guess my point was that if you got it you got it

• HadIt.com Elder

Forman:

Obviously for some reason you are taking something personal that I really intended as general information.

I am sorry and hope that you stay here Hadit needs all of us. I don't take your questions as not being serious.

I guess for the time being I will not post to you so if I answer any question in a thread that you are in the response is for someone else.

Please forgive me sometimes I am cranks when it gets hot.

Pete