VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insomnia

Rate this topic

Ok folks, my insomnia is getting worse..Have been taking the zolpidem tartrate (Ambien) from VA now for a while..It seems to no longer work..I go to bed and then lay there and toss and turn trying to go to sleep for 2 or 3 hours...I am going to discuss this with my psych later this week..What are some other options..I have to be able to get up and make a lengthy drive to work every morning so I can't be out of it..Here lately it has been getting harder because I am not sleeping much at night so I am tired..Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks, Grid

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the dosage of the Ambian?

Mine is 10MG.

I know they have larger doses and even slower release versions.

There are several go-to-sleep medications that do not carry over into the next morning.

It's been several years since I tried any though.

Anyone else have more recent info?

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder
Ok folks, my insomnia is getting worse..

...Here lately it has been getting harder because I am not sleeping much at night

Sorry to hear about your sleep problems, Grid. Like Sledge suggested, try to adjust your meds.

You do not want to have trouble at your job.

Good Luck

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

If you take sleep meds and stop taking them you get rebound insomnia so be prepared for that situation. Have you had a sleep study done?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have insomnia and sometimes nothing will work.Might be strange but reading a book helped me sleep better than most of the pills they pushed from VA

Ok folks, my insomnia is getting worse..Have been taking the zolpidem tartrate (Ambien) from VA now for a while..It seems to no longer work..I go to bed and then lay there and toss and turn trying to go to sleep for 2 or 3 hours...I am going to discuss this with my psych later this week..What are some other options..I have to be able to get up and make a lengthy drive to work every morning so I can't be out of it..Here lately it has been getting harder because I am not sleeping much at night so I am tired..Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks, Grid

I used to take Trazadone, among several other sleep aids; but since I finished my 4 year college stint and am working now...I have been on the zolpidem too.

It works for me, but only in conjunction with gabapetin (sp?) to suppress my central nervous system due to the lower back pain (lumbar muscle spasms, degenerative disc disease of entire spine, and 3 herniated discs). That has helped, but according to my last VA doctor I saw a couple weeks ago...I may be getting sleep - I am NOT getting "quality" sleep. Which I do not argue with, because my wife and co-workers tell me nearly every day I look "tired."

Anyhow, good luck on finding anything that works. As I have been on 6 difference kinds of sleep pills and so far the Zolpidem and Gabepetin has given me the most sleep (up to 6-7 hours) where before I was getting 2-4, at best.

T.S.