VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Once Again Denied

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Friday morning I recieved the dreaded white envelope..It was my latest round of rubber stamped denials....There were more than one but the PTSD one concerns me and my VA psyche that I saw for a monthly appt on Friday afternoon....In the write up for the denial they conceded my stressor...

I quote" Review of your file showed that your combat stressor has been conceeded.Service medical records avaliable for review were negative for a diagnosis of posttraumitic stress disorder.

At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records.The examiner reported that although you have symptoms of posttraunitic stress disorder there was no evidence of persistently avoiding situations which remind you of the traumitic event.(I don't knoe what they want, I told the examiner that I detested the 4th of July, avoided crowds and would not join local Volunteer Fire Department because I couldn't face the possibility of encountering the smell of burnt human again..Plus no friends and spending hours alone).No diagnosis of post traumitic stress disorder was rendered.The diagnosis of major depressive disorder was supported by finding on examination.Service medical records were negative for a diagnosis of depression.

The claim for service connection for post traumitic stress disorder with depression is considered reopened.However, the evidence continues to show service connection is not shown by the service medical records or demonstrated by evidence following service.Therefore, service connection continues to be denied" end quote...

This has to be the biggest load of double talk and BS I have ever seen...My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her with a GAF of 55 2 days after my C&P and was 50 the month before...She said that my PTSD may be partially controlled but without the 3 antidepressants and sleep aids and lets not forget the nightmare medication that it is rampant and will probably always require medication.............I guess the good news is the conceding of my stressor..I don't think they even looked at my VA treatment records...Next week I will request a copy of my C-file and the C&P exam..Thinking about a lawyer for appeal..Also psyche suggested if I can get off worrk the 4 week inpatient course at Little Rock..Off the record said it would help claim and appealNow just seeing if I can get 4 weeks..Can't afford missing pay..Have enough leave to cover abot 2 1/2 weeks...Work for Feds so really don't have to worry about losing job with Docs note.......ANY HELP AND GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......Grid

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Grid,

Yes, It is good that at least VBA states your stressor to combat

has been conceded.

Perhaps you can get your VA MH (psychiatrist) provider to write an addendum letter

that you can submit for reconsideration.

Keep in mind this does not stop the clock for the submission of a NOD.

carlie

Carlie, thanks for the reply...i am already working on it..I have an appt. tommorow with my DAV rep to discuss options with him...Already getting paperwork together....Hopefully will be sending them paperwork within a month..Still considering getting a lawyer involved as I am not impressed with my DAV rep.....He never seems to have time to see me..Will talk to Shrink again in about a month..GRID

• HadIt.com Elder

Glad that you are making progress.

Never give up you earned the benefits

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have current DX of PTSD and the VA conceded stessor then it should only be a matter of rating effective date and %. Just hang in there and keep jumping throught hoops.

Grid,

This sounds like the classic case of one medical opine versus the other. In my experiences as a VSR--and I stress "my experiences"--I can't tell you how many times I've seen a vet get his/her claim denied just because one medical opinion is believed to hold more "weight" against the other. I'm not sure what your psychiatrist is annotating in your records, but you should make sure he/she is properly documenting your condition. Get copies of your records from the hospital and check. If everything appears to be kosher, get a third medical opinion to support your claim and your psychiatrist's assessment. I instructed my father-in-law to do this, which he did, and he was finally approved for PTSD. Ask your psychiatrist if he/she can arrange this with one of his/her peers.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks for the support and advice folks..Really appreciate it..Sorry haven't been around for a week or so..Lost my Father, had to attend funeral and feel so down, no energy just want to sleep and rest..plus the mirtazapine my psych put me on for sleep is making me very tired and groggy...Once again THANKS...I am getting things together to keep up the good fight...Gridi