VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Once Again Denied

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Friday morning I recieved the dreaded white envelope..It was my latest round of rubber stamped denials....There were more than one but the PTSD one concerns me and my VA psyche that I saw for a monthly appt on Friday afternoon....In the write up for the denial they conceded my stressor...

I quote" Review of your file showed that your combat stressor has been conceeded.Service medical records avaliable for review were negative for a diagnosis of posttraumitic stress disorder.

At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records.The examiner reported that although you have symptoms of posttraunitic stress disorder there was no evidence of persistently avoiding situations which remind you of the traumitic event.(I don't knoe what they want, I told the examiner that I detested the 4th of July, avoided crowds and would not join local Volunteer Fire Department because I couldn't face the possibility of encountering the smell of burnt human again..Plus no friends and spending hours alone).No diagnosis of post traumitic stress disorder was rendered.The diagnosis of major depressive disorder was supported by finding on examination.Service medical records were negative for a diagnosis of depression.

The claim for service connection for post traumitic stress disorder with depression is considered reopened.However, the evidence continues to show service connection is not shown by the service medical records or demonstrated by evidence following service.Therefore, service connection continues to be denied" end quote...

This has to be the biggest load of double talk and BS I have ever seen...My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her with a GAF of 55 2 days after my C&P and was 50 the month before...She said that my PTSD may be partially controlled but without the 3 antidepressants and sleep aids and lets not forget the nightmare medication that it is rampant and will probably always require medication.............I guess the good news is the conceding of my stressor..I don't think they even looked at my VA treatment records...Next week I will request a copy of my C-file and the C&P exam..Thinking about a lawyer for appeal..Also psyche suggested if I can get off worrk the 4 week inpatient course at Little Rock..Off the record said it would help claim and appealNow just seeing if I can get 4 weeks..Can't afford missing pay..Have enough leave to cover abot 2 1/2 weeks...Work for Feds so really don't have to worry about losing job with Docs note.......ANY HELP AND GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......Grid

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Friday morning I recieved the dreaded white envelope..It was my latest round of rubber stamped denials....There were more than one but the PTSD one concerns me and my VA psyche that I saw for a monthly appt on Friday afternoon....In the write up for the denial they conceded my stressor...

I quote" Review of your file showed that your combat stressor has been conceeded.Service medical records avaliable for review were negative for a diagnosis of posttraumitic stress disorder.

At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records.The examiner reported that although you have symptoms of posttraunitic stress disorder there was no evidence of persistently avoiding situations which remind you of the traumitic event.(I don't knoe what they want, I told the examiner that I detested the 4th of July, avoided crowds and would not join local Volunteer Fire Department because I couldn't face the possibility of encountering the smell of burnt human again..Plus no friends and spending hours alone).No diagnosis of post traumitic stress disorder was rendered.The diagnosis of major depressive disorder was supported by finding on examination.Service medical records were negative for a diagnosis of depression.

The claim for service connection for post traumitic stress disorder with depression is considered reopened.However, the evidence continues to show service connection is not shown by the service medical records or demonstrated by evidence following service.Therefore, service connection continues to be denied" end quote...

This has to be the biggest load of double talk and BS I have ever seen...My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her with a GAF of 55 2 days after my C&P and was 50 the month before...She said that my PTSD may be partially controlled but without the 3 antidepressants and sleep aids and lets not forget the nightmare medication that it is rampant and will probably always require medication.............I guess the good news is the conceding of my stressor..I don't think they even looked at my VA treatment records...Next week I will request a copy of my C-file and the C&P exam..Thinking about a lawyer for appeal..Also psyche suggested if I can get off worrk the 4 week inpatient course at Little Rock..Off the record said it would help claim and appealNow just seeing if I can get 4 weeks..Can't afford missing pay..Have enough leave to cover abot 2 1/2 weeks...Work for Feds so really don't have to worry about losing job with Docs note.......ANY HELP AND GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......Grid

We can appreciate your frustration with the VA. You are not alone.

I had the luck to find a contact at the local VA hospital who gave me a short list of good inclusions in your applications or appeals. Some of those you already have, like the stressor and the diagnosis. Did you also include letters from your wife or kids to describe their lives as spouses and children of a PTSD vet? What about from your family doctor? Along with the positive aspect of having myself checked in to the sixth floor for some cool out time the letters from others seemed to have a great deal of power. The time on the sixth floor let them have records of my bad attitudes and the letters gave them a wider canvas to view. I promised the wife and kids not to read the letters because I needed their full honesty.

A final point. I first went to the VA for my hearing many years ago and tried to pass the damn hearing tests. At the time my hearing was as bad as it is now. It took years to get past a zero rating. You are not in any examination to pass the test. You want them to find what is wrong and acting brave is not the way to go. If you can't hear the tone don't push the button; if you are PTSD don't walk in as a strac soldier, we aren't. We have parts missing or damaged and we need the VA to help us out.

Everything you wrote says you are on the ball.

Hadit has the point.

We've got your back.

Gridsmasher11,your stressor was comfirmed,but when you had your C&P,the examiner reviewed your medical records and reported that although you have symptoms of ptsd,but no evidence of the traumatic event that ocur. When the rated receive your medical report from C&P examiner.he/she couldn't coroborate the traumatic event that happen to you inservice.In other words the traumatic event that happen to you while you was inservice,you have to be pretty specific, when you see your psychiatrist,psychologists,of C&P examiner,tell he/she exactly how that traumatic event that happen to you inservice make you feel,for example,you can't sleep, how you avoid situations,no friends and etc all because of the traumatic event (explain) that cause you to be this way.This should get you service connected for PTSD.

mobie16r

• HadIt.com Elder

What I'm seeing is no actual diagnosis of PTSD or record of it. I believe you'll need to get an IMO, that gives you that diagnosis. Perhaps being seen by a Vet Center would help? It is also possible that your current therapists haven't made that entry in your records or that the records are not with your c-file and therefore not viewed by the adjudicator. You'll also note the following statement: "At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records." It doesn't sound to me like your complete medical records or c-file was present for the C&P exam/review. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

phillip i understand what you are saying,but he got to let the examiner no that the traumatic event that ocur in service cause his problems.If he is having nightmares,intrusive thoughts,avoidance and etc,and the traumatic event that happen to him while he was in service,this is ptsd, just have to be coroborate with inservice stressor

mobie

• HadIt.com Elder

mobie - they've conceded the stressor, so now he needs the PTSD diagnosis, which is required. If he doesn't meet the required minimum criteria, for PTSD, he won't get the diagnosis. It could be that his doctor isn't specifying PTSD, in his medical records, or that they don't have his medical records in his c-file. Many times claimants assume since it's all the "VA" that their medical records are present, which is rarely true. I believe the Service Center still needs to request those records from the VAMC medical records dept. jmo

pr

phillip i understand what you are saying,but he got to let the examiner no that the traumatic event that ocur in service cause his problems.If he is having nightmares,intrusive thoughts,avoidance and etc,and the traumatic event that happen to him while he was in service,this is ptsd, just have to be coroborate with inservice stressor

mobie

Edited by Philip Rogers