VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Delay In New Agent Orange Presumptives?

Rate this question

JustPLS

Question

I read this today on Military.com's newsletter (Copyright 2010 Tom Philpott) and hadn't heard it before. Has anyone else heard of this? I am paraphrasing a bit, but a link to the entire article is below.

Webb: Delay Agent Orange Claims, Stop Bigger Pay Raises

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va) could become a new champion, for taxpayers, against what he perceives as excessive spending on a new wave of Agent Orange claims.

Webb risked the anger of thousands of veterans from that war when he won Senate approval last week of an amendment to block, at least temporarily, the Department of Veterans Affairs from paying new disability claims on three prominent diseases presumed linked to wartime herbicide exposure.

As many as 86,000 Vietnam veterans with ischemic heart disease, Parkinson's disease or B-cell leukemia are awaiting a final VA regulation to receive disability compensation based on a decision last fall by VA Secretary Shinseki of evidence linking these diseases with exposure to deadly defoliant used during the war.

VA officials not only have published interim regulations already but, for months, have been encouraging veterans stricken with these diseases, or their surviving spouses, to file new claims or re-file claims as soon as possible because benefits would be paid back to claim filing dates.

But Webb proposed, and senators accepted May 27, an amendment to the fiscal 2010 war supplemental funding bill (HR 4899) to limit spending on claims filed for these new presumptive Agent Orange diseases for 60 days. That will allow Congress time to study the VA decision and examine more closely the link found between these diseases and herbicide exposure.

What worries Webb, said one Capitol Hill source, is that, based on modest scientific evidence, VA could be paying claims on diseases that a large proportion of any population will contract through normal aging.

Webb's amendment language, if agreed to by the House, would invoke the Congressional Review Act which allows a funding freeze on any major government regulation or initiative so Congress can review the proposed changes. If in 60 days opposition strengthens and a majority of lawmakers will risk the wrath of expectant veterans with these ailments, Congress could pass a joint resolution to prevent a final regulation from taking effect.

a link to the entire article: http://www.military....00.html?wh=news

Edited by JustPLS

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We expected some yahoo to step in and protect the taxpayer.

We might be able to convince Webb if his email gets used well.

Senator Webb was a Combat Marine!!!!!!!!!!!! But I guess he doesn't have any of the AO presumptives from Vietnam- lucky him-

as a Senator he has a good sized pay check and fabulous medical care.

I hope AO vets will overwhelm him with emails and phone calls,

I passed this on to Larry Scott -VA Watchdog-

I guess if HR 2254 ever passes -what will he do about that because that will cost VA plenty too.

Where do these clowns come from?

Sometimes I think these congress/senator people do this crap just to get their name in the news.

After reading this I'll just bite my tounge and hold what I want to say because I don't want to get booted from the forum.

Jeff

I did send him an e-mail in case anyone is wondering. I suggest that we all do.

Edited by Sgt Schmidt

The claims that the V A is getting now, is not a bunch of old people claiming newly aquired diseases that they are trying to collect money for but for diseases they have had for years , and until they were encouraged by the V A to file for the 3 new presumed diseases they had sat back and watched as other vets(National Guards) drew disability for falling out the door of a

donut shop .and because diabetes is hereditary, not mention them being twice their normal wieght. Dang shame the Vietnam Veteran has to Die in order to get anything from the government but that is what they are waiting for!!!!!!!!!!! {tombstones} are cheap. Ticks me off to watch all these disabled vets ride around town and brag about all the money they get from V.A. and they are able to do anything they want. I am permanently and totally disabled due to IHD .I am on a time released nitro tablet twice a day ,2 bp meds and I cant even mow my own grass.

Mr. Webb may be a Vietnam Vet but I bet he would change his tune if he had half the problems alot of us do. Not mad, just disappointted that our elected officials balance their budget by taking away from sick veterans .

• HadIt.com Elder

Webb is worried because a vet might get a benefit that is due to natural aging! To make an error in favor of vets is a terrible thing. I hope this clown gets voted out of office. I begin to think nobody cares about Vietnam vets even other fortunate Vietnam vets. I will send him an email myself. Most don't answer out of state email. Some don't even accept it. 40 years of abuse for Vietnam vets. It ends in the grave I guess.

Now is the time for all vets and those who care about vets to contact all the people they can in VA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!