VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart?

Rate this question

soldieofchrist4id

Question

I was never issued a PH for taking light shrapnel wounds and have TBI/ seizures from falling in a spider hole while running through a mortar attack. I have a NCO that is trying to put me in for one. I need to know the forms we need to fill out. A lot of my records were lost but I have several lay statements that back up the attack. Any advice this is above my head???????????

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gather the report where you were injured and send it to your congressman. This will help you.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I was never issued a PH for taking light shrapnel wounds and have TBI/ seizures from falling in a spider hole while running through a mortar attack. I have a NCO that is trying to put me in for one. I need to know the forms we need to fill out. A lot of my records were lost but I have several lay statements that back up the attack. Any advice this is above my head???????????

I have been knee deep in Internet PDF file sites, looking for an answer for you, 'soldieofchrist4id'.

To be left behind when an earned award, such as a Purple Heart, was not received, I find unacceptable... All too often, a vet lets this kind of a mistake go on unresolved, because of the uncomfortable position the deserving vet is put in... How do you know that you were not put in for a PH? Who told you that. Have you already sent a DD 149 in, and got a negative response. Or are you just guessing? You would be surprised how many mistakes are made by clerks in the uniformed services.

Berta posted on 24 May 2010 - 12:16 PM.

" If you are eligible for the PH and it isn't on your DD 214-you can use the attached DD 149 to obtain correction of the DD 214."
Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you get any combat awards? If so this would bolster your PH claim. You go through BCMR. I think if you fell in hole avoiding mortor attack that would qualify, and the shrapnel if it drew blood should be enough. You and John Kerry. Do you have SMR's that show any treatment for injuries in a combat zone? I think you can do this.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I was not able to locate any medical records stating I was wounded in Viet Nam, but a buddy from my platoon in Viet Nam wrote a letter for me and this along with my own letter was sent to our Senator. Within a month I had a letter back from the Dept of the Army stating there were no medical records, therefore no Purple Heart. I mistakenly thought the Senator's office would do more than just forward the letters to the Dept of the Army. About a year went by and I was working on a different claim and discovered there was a C-file at the RO. I ordered it and lo and behold I found the medical record I needed which proved my hospitalization in Viet Nam and signed by an officer. It also stated I was wounded by enemy fire which is needed to qualify for P H. So I re-submitted with another letter from same buddy and received my Purple Heart in Washington D. C. about 1 1/2 years ago. Incidentlly the Senator couldn't be there to present the medal to me as he was busy with other things, but took full credit for getting my P. H.!! It was instead presented by Colonel Switzer in the LBJ room. He did a fantastic job. So if you haven't already, locate all of your med records.

Also my buddy from Viet Nam had been wounded by a booby trap and hadn't received his P H either. He couldn't locate his medical records stating he had been wounded, but at our Company reunion the medic that treated him happened to attend. During their conversation my buddy mentioned the booby trap incident to the medic. He did remember it and remembered giving treatment so he wrote a letter which in turn got my buddy his P H last year.

Do as the others have said and it will happen. Just stay with it and don't give up!