VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Marginal Employment And

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I dont thnk we discuss this enough here:

"Marginal employment shall not be considered substantially

gainful employment. For purposes of 38 C.F.R. § 4.16,

marginal employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a

veteran's earned annual income does not exceed the amount

established by the U.S. Department of Commerce as the poverty

threshold for one person. Marginal employment may also be

held to exist, on a facts found basis (includes but is not

limited to employment in a protected environment such as a

family business or sheltered workshop), when earned annual

income exceeds the poverty threshold. Consideration shall be

given in all claims to the nature of the employment and the

reason for termination. 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a).

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not getting paid on commission is not working although you may put a large effort into it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I once thoght of selling stuff on e-bay. You know, go to garage sales and trade days and buy stuff and sell it on e-bay. I did for a while, then people just managed to drive me nuts. Why go through all the buying of stuff, posting of adds, wrapping, mailing, and then getting someone that thought that the Elvis Presley record that they bought had a certain song on it, and now they want their money back (of course, they want to KEEP the Elvis Presley record, also).

Screw it, I'll just sit here and listen to the worlds greatest collection of Elvis Presley records. :blink:

• HadIt.com Elder

I sold stuff on Ebay for a short while. It drove me crazy. The customers complained about everything. They believe that they should not have to pay one penny more for S&H than the actual cost of postage. I lost money considering the time I spent and gas, wrapping and boxing products etc. Ebay has fees as well. They are the ones who make the real money just like the middle men in the antique business. Buyers and sellors that have to use a middle man get screwed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I sold stuff on Ebay for a short while. It drove me crazy. The customers complained about everything. They believe that they should not have to pay one penny more for S&H than the actual cost of postage. I lost money considering the time I spent and gas, wrapping and boxing products etc. Ebay has fees as well. They are the ones who make the real money just like the middle men in the antique business. Buyers and sellors that have to use a middle man get screwed.

I've got a really good deal on Elvis records (got an unplayed, still cellophane wrapped, Direct from Hawaii via Satellite, album). I also have the very first Beatles record (45rpm, epiphone). CHEAP! heh-heh. :unsure:

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

When I need something for my cell phone or I want some kind of electronic gizmo I usually take a look at ebay and have made over 60 purchases over 10 years. I pay as soon as I win and I loose a lot more than I win and so far all of my purchases have been good for me.

My son sold stuff on ebay but he no longer does it. I don't buy from people who have not sold much stuff and I don't buy expensive stuff.

To be honest I have found ebay to be more reliable than Amazon or some of the other stores.

I am not in the market for Elvis Pressley

Berta, Hope I wasn't the cause to get your post off topic? If I was I apologize.

Your subject has been discussed on another board until the cows came home and pretty much the consensus there was that if you filed for IU then you should be IU period. But you are correct bending the system a little or actually following the rules may be beneficial for some of these young folks coming on here for information and may even help some actually get their lives back together.

I know if I was as young as some I hear are putting in for IU at ages 20's,30's and even 40's I would think twice about what I was getting myself into. Marginal and temp working could help build their confidence back so that they maybe be able to work full time.

My situation is a little different in I am 61 and at 90% for the past year with the PTSD added just this year I am in the mind set I am hurting myself and heading to an early grave by doing this. But as has been said many of the Vietnam vets are dead so maybe it is like the mother said on Forest Gump "it is just my time Forrest".