VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Eval

Rate this question

hp1030

Question

Fellow veterans:

Hi to all. I had a C&P Psych eval recently and the Doctor was extremelly interested in regards to my alcohol use and my preference for "dark" women.(??????) She asked me less than 5 questions...one was, and this is no joke... to spell Bob backwards, another to count backwards from 100. :mellow: She had no knowledge of the computer program she was using, so the computer guy came in the office at least five times

interupting the interview.

I explained to her some strange thoughts I had after taking some meds..and she replied,,,"If you are going to kill yourself you bettter have a good plan, I've heard a lot of bad plans lately from Veterans. I can give you at least 10 good ways to do it right now...!" With this she finioshed the "interview" and asked me out.

Should I write about this on my NOD? It this base for an innapropiate evaluation for rating purposes ? Should I keep quiet...? What do you think, any info will be greatly appreciated.

HP

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder
Fellow veterans:

Hi to all. I had a C&P Psych eval recently and the Doctor was extremelly interested in regards to my alcohol use and my preference for "dark" women.(??????) She asked me less than 5 questions...one was, and this is no joke... to spell Bob backwards, another to count backwards from 100. :mellow: She had no knowledge of the computer program she was using, so the computer guy came in the office at least five times

interupting the interview.

I explained to her some strange thoughts I had after taking some meds..and she replied,,,"If you are going to kill yourself you bettter have a good plan, I've heard a lot of bad plans lately from Veterans. I can give you at least 10 good ways to do it right now...!" With this she finioshed the "interview" and asked me out.

Should I write about this on my NOD? It this base for an innapropiate evaluation for rating purposes ? Should I keep quiet...? What do you think, any info will be greatly appreciated.

HP

Sounds extrememly unprofessional! Too bad we're not allowed tape recorders!

Was this your first C&P for mental problems? Was this VA staff?

Make sure you write down as much as you can remember in a letter format. I would take my written testimony, get it "notarized" and forward a copy to my service officer (if you have one), and one to the director of the VA medical center where your C&P was conducted. I would take this action PRIOR TO getting a copy of the C&P results!! Keep us posted. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Terry: strike while the iron is hot! AMBUSH!

Including the the American Medical Association (AMA) was great Terry!

Really SICKO Examiner I would say!! ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

hp1030,

Do you have a treating psychologist or psychiatrist. The psychiatrist and psychologist should work as a team when in treatment. If not schedule and try to get into a treatment program. If this was a VA employee discuss the matter with the the head of the department and ask to enter treatment if you are not already in treatment. It might take a referal from a primary doctor or a psychological emergency program. If your VA hospital has a psych emergency program, go to it and get counseling and ongoing treatment. Take up any issue discussed by the C&P examiner with a treating psychologiost or psychiatrist. Opinions written by a treating physician can have equal or even better weight than an evaluating physician. Obtain all favorable treatment notes or reports written by the treating physician and turn them into the RO. Get a servicer officer to help you. Keep posting to hadit.

My guess is that this was not a VA employee. Probably a contractor. You sound rather passive compared to the way I would have reacted. Passisivity could be a reason to get treatment. I am not a counselor. And I am not making a diagnosis. This is just my opinion.

Consider that you could run into treating physicians that are also out of touch. There are some good employees at the VA. If possible change physicians or hospitals until you get a treating doctor who you feel comfortable with. I went through some weird times and some good time with VA shrinks. It was not easy. It took some work in my case. I have heard of other PTSD veterans who got through the process with little resistence.

MY thoughts for now,

• HadIt.com Elder
I read in the M21 that veterans can record their C&P

I haven't read this regulation for some time, but I'm certain that, by law, you can always ask for permission to tape record an exam or hearing. If permission's denied, then the tape could not be used in evidence. Whenever possible, bring a witness to your exams and hearings. Some examiners will allow the witness into the exam room, some won't. I'll see if I can find the regulation. ~Wings

Gentleman:

Thnaks for your advice and support.

First, this examiner is a VA Psychiatrist (Dr.Ivonne Peterson Tapia) , I've heard she is one of the "top" "main" evaluator for PTSD at the San Juan VA Hosp. I really feel sorry for the fellow Veterans receiving treatment or been evaluated by this unprofesional person.

Second, my passivenes was due I guess, to the shock of hearing this from a "profesional", I am an ex naval special warfare guy, I am very patient, but not too pasive. Constraint was the word.

No, this was my second interview for mental problems, I explained the situation to my Sevice Officer the day after the interview, that we should ask that this eval not be used because it was not appropiate for rating purposes but she said we should wait, I argued that wether or not it was favorable i did not care, but she insisted that i should wait for a decision. So here we are awaiting an unfavorable decision and wasting time.

I also expalained the situation to the Pshych at the Out Patient Clinic, she is my main Pshyc. If she made a note of it I do not know.

Finally,I will follow you guys advice and will write notarized letters, to the appropiate persons. AMA was a great idea as all ideas and pointers exposed here.

Again, Thanks in advance;

HP

PS: The doctor is rather paranoid, she would not allow a tape recorder near the building...!