VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wow, I Got My Dic

teejay53

Question

I filed my DIC claim in Dec. 2009 and I called VA today and I was told my DIC was granted yesterday. I have never been so surprised in all my days. I was told it would be possibly a year or longer as the VA is swamped. Who knew. Just thought I would let all know.

teejay

biggrin.gif

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

yes, it does take much too long. my hubby was my sole source of income and i share file medical and financial hardship with the va. it didn't really seem to matter, i was told they are swamped and moving as quickly as possible.

i think what took my dic claim so long was i was asked for more and more information, by the time my dic claim was awarded i had faxed and sent over 173 pieces of asked information. out of all this they only used 3 pages to decide the claim, what's up with this.

i think the va askes for too more information than they need, tying up the deciding process and taking much too long.

i believe 3 to 4 months could have been cut of the time limit without all this information retrieving sending.

but, this is just my opinion.

thank you all for your opinions on all my posts.

teejay

teejay

I was astounded when I read how many documents you had to submit to support your claim. This was completely ridiculous, especially in your situation. I agree that there should be a time limit set on DIC claims.

It's so good to read that your award has finally come thru and your life can move forward. Congratulations!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Pete 100% SC vets widows and widowers whould not have to wait 6 months to a year for approval of DIC claims like you I am the sole source of income for this household and when I die my wife will also have to apply for DIC and her check from SSA based on being a widow they told her she will get 75% of the current check when I pass away I hope they don't take 6 months or longer to change the check for her, we may have to build up a bigger rainy day fund

it's a damn shame that the first go around sent most of us into bankruptcy or a loss of everything homes, cars in some cases families from years of fighting with the VA for the original SC claim now to learn they are going to do it again to my wife when I pass is kind of disturbing they should never put widows thru that especially right after losing their loved one they make a bad situation worse

I am glad you got your claim approved but it shouldn't have taken 6 months

i received my letter about my dic benefits and they added extra (for a & a) i am assuming. i know when you are awarded a & a with the pension you have to provide receipts once a year for that award - too show where the a &a money goes, does it work the same if that benefit comes with the dic, the va agent simply said "it is a little bit more money the va gives folks."

any opinion from you all would be appreciated and the va agent told me i have this award forever, too me this sounds odd ... i would think there would be some sort of a renewal date for this or something.

thank you all.

Congratulations for your award. I have to date been waiting 6 years 6 months and I am still waiting. I just received a SSOC from AMC that again denied service connection for death. My claim is that CAD was secondary to PTSD and AO. I do not know if it has anything to do with the wording of my claim but basically I am claiming that due to his sc of PTSD the CAD that resulted in a heart attack is secondary to PTSD. I just faxed another IMO on the terminology CAD and IHD are one in the same plus I questioned the VA doctors opinion that current thought does not relate heart disease as a secondary condition to PTSD. I tried not to add too much since I was advised that to much is to much. I have read my awards where in CAD/IHD is award as secondary to PTSD. Why am I still be denied benefits. I again congratulate you on your win and just ask that everyone at Hadit.com remember me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. I will need it for the next battle.