VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Educational Benefits

Rate this question

theoman1

Question

After I got out of the Marines in 1992, I slogged through school and ended up with a degree in Business Management after 10 years. I finally graduated in 2004. I was recently awarded an increase in my disability rating from 10% to 20% with the inclusion of PTSD. I have an employment handicap. I have had 25 jobs since I got out. I get to a point where I get bored or angry and I end up quitting or getting fired. I come to find out that my PTSD is a cause of a lot of my problems. I finally got sober and have 2 and a half years of sobriety. I have been working my butt off in AA. I have only had my current job for the last 2 1/2 years because my sponsor told me I cannot quit. I applied for Vocational Rehab benefits. I was told that I qualify for benefits that include aid in finding employment but am unable to receive Educational Benefits because I already have a degree in an area where I could find employment with my disabilities. I have received nothing in writing yet. I want to go back to school to get a degree in Actuarial Science. (I know I can do the math, so that is not a problem. I started out my first degree as an engineering major and made it through Calculus III with an A) What constitutes "suitable employment"? Whose definition of suitable do they go by? I am tired of living a subsistence lifestyle and am motivated to get ahead, but I need some help getting through some roadblocks. I have done my research and Actuaries are one of the lowest stress jobs that exist. Any suggestions??

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"I have done my research and Actuaries are one of the lowest stress jobs that exist. Any suggestions?"

If they write to you that they want you to remain in field of where your present degree lies-or some other BS like that- use that point in argument against them.Send then copies of any evidence you have that shows the Actuary field is low stress.

If I were you I would definitely send them a 21-4138 asking them to increase your rating for the PTSD.

"I have been working my butt off in AA" That is wonderful!

My husband was in Voc Rehab-you are right to wait for them to put something in writing.If it is too vague, ask them to expand on it. You have right to appeal Voc Rehab decisions and they handle appeals a little differently that the traditional VARO claims appeals process.

• HadIt.com Elder

Never take no as an answer when dealing with VA. Talk to your councilor and appeal if need be.

First of all congrats on your sobriety. I already have an AAS in electronic engineering technology and VA through voc rehab is currently paying for me to go to college for Diesel mechanics. Talk to another VA rep and as already stated don't take no for an answer.

• HadIt.com Elder

And, just as Berta has said, get that VA form 21-4138 filled out and delivered to the VARO requesting an INCREASE in your PTSD...........for I think, and I believe that Berta also thinks, that they LOW-BALLED you badly in your percentage awarded for your PTSD (WHAT? THEY "GAVE" YOU 10% FOR PTSD? unbelieveable and unreasonable!).

theoman1,

You posted, " I was recently awarded an increase in my disability rating from 10% to 20% with the inclusion of PTSD."

What disabilities are you currently SC'd for and at what percentage for each ?

On the Rating Decision that granted an increase or your PTSD as SC'd

what exactly is stated in the Reasons and Bases Section ?