Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

New To The Site And Need Help

Hi Everyone I am new to the site and here in San Antonio Texas. I am looking around in the forums and figuring out where I should post my questions in regard to advice on re-opening my VA Disability claim. Also, I am looking for advice on the best veteran service organization in San Antonio to help me get started with re-opening my claim and I need some other advice in regard to my claim and the best way to go about it to get my rating raised for issues I have had since I retired.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. The best way to find a good service officer is to ask around. I know you started here but I mean around San Antonio.If you were in Dallas I could recommend a couple of good ones.

soaring,

Welcome to Hadit.

I'm moving your topic to the Claims/Benefits Research Forum.

On the issues you want to re-open :

they are for what disabilities ?

On the Rating Decision that denied the issues -

what did it state in the Reasons and Bases Section - also,

what is the date on that Rating Decision ?

soaring,

Welcome to Hadit.

I'm moving your topic to the Claims/Benefits Research Forum.

Hi and thanks for the welcome Carlie and thanks for moving my question to the correct forum. I was not sure where to place it

On the issues you want to re-open :

they are for what disabilities ? I had 11 items (Benign prostate hyperthrophy-20%, Right triceps tendonitis-had elbow surgery to fix tricvep tendon that ripped out while fighting a fire-10%, Left wrist sprain-10%, cervival spine degenerative arthritis clained as cervical DDD and spondylosis-10%), that were listed when I received my decision letter form the VA back on 2007. Of the 11 items four of them I received a service connection and a percentage. the others were listed as service connections and a zero percent assigned. The zero % assigned issues included Thoracolumbar degenerative arthritis-intervertebral disc degeneration, Right shoulder rotator cuff tendonitis, Left thumb carpometacarpal joint sprain, left knee patellofemoral syndrome, impotence, surgical scar right elbow, left carpal tunnel syndrome-minor) They did not give a rating for the high cholesterol that has been an issue for many years during my 21 years of military service.

I have been having issues with five of the areas and they have gotten worse. I have not gone to a doctor for all these issues because I had started a new job and did not have sick time and vacation built up and I have always been a person with a strong work ethic and not wanting to take time off for me to take care of my issues. I know that probably has not been the smartest thing to do, but I have been dealing with the pain and not complaining about it. However, it is at a point now where all these things are impacting me. I also had questions about the Gulf war syndrome because I served in the Gulf war and never gave a lot of thought to filing any type of claim for the gulf War Illness/Syndrome. I do and have had a lot of the symptoms such as sleep issues, gastrointestinal problems, joint and muscle pain, weakness, and fatigue. Anyway, I was not sure if I could have that addressed.

On the Rating Decision that denied the issues -

what did it state in the Reasons and Bases Section - A lot of the reasons they stated were because I went to the doctor once or only a few times and a lot of other things they said about the issues I got zero % for. I unfortunately did not appeal during that first year because I had so many things going on in my life at the tme. So, that is why I am asking about what I need to do to re-open my case for the issues to attempt to get the ratings changed. I now have some leave and vacation days to make some appointments to get some of my issues looked at and documented in my records. I am guessing I have to have a current documented history before I attempt to ask the VA to re-open my claim.

what is the date on that Rating Decision ? The date of the rating decision is March 20, 2007.

Anyway, as I said in the first forum post I did yesterday, I was wondering if someone had any advice on the best way for me to go about re-opening, what I should do, how long I need to wait, and if I have to have doctors visits on file before I can re-open and then does anybody have a good recommendation of which service agency in San Antonio I should use to file, such as Texas Veterans Commission or some other agency. Any suggestions, support, or assistance is greatly appreciated.

sincerly

SG

Soaringealge17

"They did not give a rating for the high cholesterol that has been an issue for many years during my 21 years of military service."

High cholestrol or hyperlipedimia is not a ratable condition but can progress into more serious problems.

You will need some new evidence to re-open the claims.

"I have been having issues with five of the areas and they have gotten worse. I have not gone to a doctor for all these issues because I had started a new job and did not have sick time and vacation built up and I have always been a person with a strong work ethic and not wanting to take time off for me to take care of my issues. I know that probably has not been the." etc

They will want to see some evidence since the last decision that these conditions have gotten worse and are at least now at a ratable level.

"I also had questions about the Gulf war syndrome because I served in the Gulf war and never gave a lot of thought to filing any type of claim for the gulf War Illness/Syndrome. I do and have had a lot of the symptoms such as sleep issues, gastrointestinal problems, joint and muscle pain, weakness, and fatigue. Anyway, I was not sure if I could have that addressed."

We recently did a show on the 9 proposed new GWV presmptives as well as mentioning Gulf War illnesses.

Also there is much info hereas to Gulf war illness and havbng a "qualifying chronic disability" that would warrant service connection. It looks as though yo might fall into that category:

"I do and have had a lot of the symptoms such as sleep issues, gastrointestinal problems, joint and muscle pain, weakness, and fatigue. Anyway, I was not sure if I could have that addressed."

By all means claim these conditions as due to your Gulf War service.

Do you have copy of your complete SMRs?

As I said on the SVR show - the original Gulf War regulations are quite confusing.

These new proposed presumptives are by far clearer to understand but I also said I hope the VA understands these new disabilities and the potential for any GWV to have gotten anyone of these diseases.

If you read over some of the claims at the BVA web site on Gulf War illnesses it shows what types of illness they consider as a qualifying chronic illness and what evidence the veterans needed to support their claims.

http://www.svr-radio.com/archives.html

Its the June 16,010 show