VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ao Presumptives

Rate this question

Berta

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry about that-.

Thanks for posting them here.

As mozartplayer said:

"I have to admit to being surprised by his reaction after he pushed through the post-9/11 GI Bill which has a 10 year projected cost much higher than the 10 year projected cost for paying benefits on claims for the three new diseases."

Yes that is a good point and also the VA pays out more for malpractice settlements that these presumptives are projected to pay out.

It makes you wonder of some of these congressial reps have their heads in their -----

sand

I like your long pause---------"sand"

I may have chosen other wording!

No problem adding the other links....I appreciate the link that got me to the site!

I agree that they seem to be the same criteria as in the past but the key word in the new presumptive reg is "ischemia".

I just got a call from someone telling of a friend I had who moved to another state (Vietnam Vet) and who has significant heart disease.I have been wondering if this vet had seen any of the new IHD news and I had no idea where he was living.His sister is going to join hadit. I believe probably most heart disease would be found to be ischemic in nature but then again----that term-since the IHD claims are to be automated- must be clearly recognizable by the computers who will handle these new claims and screen the medical records for the appropriate medical terms.

(VA-Send those claims to me and I can do them in a heartbeat! They should be some of the easiest claims VA has yet they are the ones that will receive the new sophisticated software for "automation" to 'speed' things up.

yeah right- as Larry Scott said -VA WAtchdog-( now a computer instead of a person could deny a claim)

As this vet has lung cancer, ostensibly an AO presumptive too but I explained how the MOPH devastated a widow with their promise of a DIC award in the bag-but the deceased Vietnam vet did not have a soft tissue sarcoma of the lung and they denied the DIC claim for lung cancer due to AO exposure.

A lawyer I was talking to a few months ago said not all heart disease is ischemic at all.

Ischemia is the key word that VA will seek in the med recs to award this new presumptive.

Their automated computer will seek it, that is.

An article in NY Times of 7/7/10 titled "Veterans Affairs to Ease Claim Process for Disability" http://www.nytimes.c....html?th&emc=th is primarily about a new VA reg which takes effect as early as next Monday, which will make it much easier for PTSD claimants to get approved, but the same article also makes reference to the proposed reg adding the three new diseases to the Agent Orange presumptive list. When I checked reginfo.gov this morning, the new reg adding the three Agent Orange diseases had not yet gone to OMB for fiscal review. Status is listed at this link:

http://www.reginfo.g...4&RIN=2900-AN54

An article in NY Times of 7/7/10 titled "Veterans Affairs to Ease Claim Process for Disability" http://www.nytimes.c....html?th&emc=th is primarily about a new VA reg which takes effect as early as next Monday, which will make it much easier for PTSD claimants to get approved, but the same article also makes reference to the proposed reg adding the three new diseases to the Agent Orange presumptive list. When I checked reginfo.gov this morning, the new reg adding the three Agent Orange diseases had not yet gone to OMB for fiscal review. Status is listed at this link:

http://www.reginfo.g...4&RIN=2900-AN54

7/13/10 I saw that the final reg (RIN 2900-AN32) for liberalizing PTSD determinations was published in today's Federal Register. The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for that new reg was first published in the Federal Register 8/24/09 almost 11 months ago. If the reg adding the 3 new diseases to the Agent Orange presumptive list takes that long to become final, it could be February 2011 before it becomes final. I know the VA is trying to expedite it, but I also know that the NPRM was not published in the Federal Register until 3/25/10. I have not seen any indication that the VA has yet forwarded it to OMB for a fiscal review which could take up to 90 days despite assurances that it would be expedited there. I have had a compensation claim pending since 8/10/09 and I won't be surprised if I don't get a decision on it before the end of this year although I'd be happy if it did happen before then. Having had prostate cancer and hairy-cell leukemia since at least April 2007, I have a vested interest in seeing the new AO presumptive reg become final.

Jim Corbett

Grand Rapids, MIchigan (Vietnam, Okinawa, and Canal Zone 1961-1963 - possibly exposed to AO all three assignments)