VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Think Vets Could Sue

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://www.usdoj.gov/04foia/1974condis.htm

OVERVIEW OF THE PRIVACY ACT OF 1974, 2004 EDITION

CONDITIONS OF DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES

A. The "No Disclosure Without Consent" Rule

"No agency shall disclose any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any person, or to another agency, except pursuant to a written request by, or with the prior written consent of, the individual to whom the record pertains [subject to 12 exceptions]." 5 U.S.C. § 552a(:mellow:.

In my opinion- the VA has "disclosed" private records of veterans by virtue of this employee who took the records home, "to any person" ,"agency" -ie: a bunch of thieves.

The VA is ultimately responsible for this.

This statement was just published in http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/index.ssf...520.xml&coll=9#

Assoc Press Saginaw News

"The material represents personal data of all living veterans who served and have been discharged since 1976. The information included the veterans' discharge summary that goes into a government database. The FBI, local law enforcement and the VA inspector general are investigating, Nicholson said. "

Discharge summarys too???

Edited by Berta

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

I read that veterans who had filed a claim since 1976 might also have had their private information on the stolen computer. So that would mean all of us even those who got out before 77. Spouses also had their information on the disks that were stolen. Maybe the VSO's should be going to court over this since they are supposed to be our representatives. I wrote the DAV about this and have not heard a word back from them.