Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Filed In August

mik

I've been a lurker ever since. I just happen to come across this website while searching my issues. Ever since I filed, I've been sending more and more info from looking at all the posts. You guys and gals have helped me more than anyone else. This is my first post. The only thing the V.A. did was help me fill out the 1st form. I turned in everything else myself.

I've had pain in my neck since a car accident in the service in 1988 and I started having chronic ankle sprains. I never applied until an employee of mine applied for his knees. I always thought you needed to be in a war. I lived with this for 20 years and just got passed around from doc to doc. No matter what they did, I've never been pain free. I've been crazy at times to my wife, kids, and employees. I couldn't tell you how many people I've snapped at for the dumbest reasons. I filed in August of 2009 and I had my c&p exams in April 2010.

For my right ankle the examiner wrote it is at least as likely as not that the veteran's right ankle degenerative joint disease and subsequent pain and disability are due to his in-service sprains.

For depression, the examiner wrote it is this examiners opinion that it is at least as likely as not that the veterans current disability, that being his depressive disorder not otherwise specified, has been caused by the chronic pain the veteran has from the motor vehicle accident Thus this examiner would specify the veterans chronic neck pain and headaches as causing depression.

For my neck pain the examiner wrote the record does support chronic neck strain in the years following seperation and thus it is my opinion that the chronic neck strain is likely related to the neck pain in the service treatment records.

For the headaches the examiner wrote it is my opinion that his tension headaches are likely related to the chronic muscular neck pain as chronic neck pain has been associated with tension headaches.

Many other issues that are rel;ated to my neck was not so favorable.

Would you think these opinions would help with my rating and service connection. I wouldn't even mind if they give me 0 percent as long as they say it's service related. I have insurance through my wife and I still pay over $150.00 a month for prescriptions and I have to fight for all of the medical services. Insurance sucks. They always deny and then they say yes when I appeal.

Thanks again for all of your help. You help service members just by being here.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly feel that you have ,in the C & P results, a very good chance for service connection of the issues that the opinion was favorable to.

It would be difficult for a VA rater to overlook this opinion.

The other conditions might need an independent medical opinion but I would wait -if I were you- to see what they award and what ratings they give you and if there is some retro (there should be a retroactive payment back to your filing date) then some of that retro might be well invested in obtaining an independent medical opinion for secondary SC of the rest of the claim.

Hard to say at this point-however. Even with what appears as a very strong C & P exam in support of three of your issues- that is something to be cautiously optimistic about- and I hope they are currently disabling to a ratable level.

You can search the BVA web site to get an idea (put your conditions into the search browser at the BVA) to get some idea as to how they will rate this all.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/index.jsp

You have to click on the Appeals link-the VA is changing the VA web site- hope they get done soon. It is making if difficult to search there for info.

Did you provide any medical evidence as to the other secondaries and a possible linkage?

Thank you,

I have numerous issues with my cervical spine, lower back and knees. Ever since I got out, the doctors always said that I had loss of lordotic curve and scoliosis. I never had scoliosis when I went in. She did note this; but said the loss of lordotic curve was just positioning. All the other doctors and even my neurologist said my back is the straightest they ever saw. I have spastic knee reflexus, bilateraral ulner nerve reattachment with still tingling fingers, upper and lower back pain, terminal dribbling at 29 years old, depression, tension and migrain headaches, memory issues. All of these issues except Ulner nerve damage are noted within months and every year thereafter me getting out of the service. I have disc issues that have just been found out by MRI's. Doctors just passed me around. Never doing an MRI, just xrays. I finnally found a neurologist that took my serious. When he saw my neck and back. He said that he knew how I could be in so much pain. For the first time in 20 years, I felt good. Nopt physically; but somewhat mentally. I've had a tens machine, injections, narcotics. Nothing has worked. The narcotics I stopped taking since I was always upping the dose. I'm now taking Lyrica, Cymbalta, Welbutrin, and many more. The nuerologist knows theres something wrong with my spinal chord but can't see it. My accident is mentioned in every doctor note that I ever had since the service. A book about 4 inches thick.

Since my accident never was reported. She can't reply to any of these things. I have two buddy letters stating that these two individuals were in the accident with me. From this they know the accident happenned but don't have a time. Was it before or after the accident. All my records state a few days after the accident. When I went to the base doc. He never noted the accident since I didn't want to get the other guy that hit me in trouble. He was a guy in my unit that fell asleep at the wheel. I was young and dumb. The report states neck strain and muscle spasm which is in all of my civilian records. The Navy doc proceeded to crack my neck without an xray. never realized how stupid that was until I got out. He could of did some of this damage. If I would of reported the accident, I would of got an xray and a mri. They could of found something and I wouldn't be in this boat. I guess it is my fault and need to work through all of this.

My wife has stayed by my side through all of this. She's threatened to leave a few times. I went to the doctor for depression because I didn't want to loose my wife and kids. Best thing that I ever did. I have relapses ; but I'm not thinking the thoughts that I was. I'm heer to stay. She always tells me to quit reading so much about my issues. I will drive myself crazy. She doesn't understand that this reading is how I found a doctor to finnally believe me and how I found this site. All the others thought I was a Quack, My family even thought I was weak and faking it. I don't blame them because you can't see it so you don't believe it. I never was in any other accidents and I wasn't trying to get payed. I always was on the verge of ending it.

'I have two buddy letters stating that these two individuals were in the accident with me. From this they know the accident happenned but don't have a time. Was it before or after the accident. All my records state a few days after the accident. When I went to the base doc. He never noted the accident since I didn't want to get the other guy that hit me in trouble."

Maybe the "other guy" reported the accident. Have you tried to track him down?

There is a lot of info here as to what a buddy letter should involve.

In your first post it seemed you had a favorable C & P and all that was needed was the nexus to the inservice accident.

Was your vehicle damaged? Do you have any way of documenting it had repairs at the time you first saw a doc in the Mil?

Did the buddy's you contacted have any injuries from it too?

My two buddies were not hurt. They were both sleeping and never tensed up. The one guy in my vehicle that was hurt. We could not find him. He got kicked out of the service. A crack head and I have a feeling he is no longer living. We tried are hardest to help him and he wouldn't change. We can't remember the guys name that hit us. Florida no longer keep records after ten years and the place I got it fixed didn't keep the records that long either. I've tried everything to get all of this info with no luck. I have medical records almost for every year after getting out pertaining to my neck and I might just have to wait and see how this all plays out. I have to be optamistic yet positiive. Now that I found my two friends. Weve been keeping in touch and I even went on vacation to see one. The first time I've seen him in over 20 years. All of this is worth that alone. We had a great time and now I have a great friend back.