VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This Typical Bs?

Rate this question

dickj

Question

retired 3 months ago from us govt. on a disability because of ptsd. 70% sc with 50% of that being ptsd. i applied for ss and was denied,they say i am able to work..but i was given a medical from feds...what's up?? lawyer up???? i also put in for tdiu and am waiting.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Whether we would like to believe it or not SSA looks at SC C&P results and often will look at the medical data from VA and chose to accept that or not in deciding your case. Did the Feds retire you medically as a direct result of your conditions?

At least 7 out of 10 SSDI cases are denied the first time around. TDIU would definitely be a plus otherwise it is going to be an uphill battle with SSA.

Consult with an Attorney.

TDIU will bring you to 100% in which case you'll have a better chance with SSA, but until then SSA is seeing 70% and one letter. This creates reasonable doubt and unlike the VA SSA doesn't have to decide in favor of the Applicant. I would definitely call the Lawyer. He may say that you should wait until you get TDIU. I would appeal SSA's decision, but you need more medical data supporting your inability to engage in sustainable

Do you have a medical condition that has prevented you from working or is expected to prevent you from working for at least 12 months or end in death? Call SSA and talk with them. Go down there in person. Be courteous and bring someone with you who can help you ask questions.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=a8FBDX3k&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=1.105&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_cats=105&p_hidden_prods=&cat_lvl1=105&cat_lvl2=0&p_search_text=&srch_btn_submit=%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0Search%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl

• HadIt.com Elder

SSA is "All or nothing" A friend is in the same situation due to coronary artery disease. SSA said he was able to work because he owned his owned painting business. How is a painter that cannot climb ladders, etc. gonna stay in business?

Legal or not, your age has a great deal to do with an SSA claim. The younger you are, it is less and less likely that SSA will rule in your favor the first or second time around.

When you reach an age that allows you to apply for early retirement, SSA becomes more likely to award SSDI without a battle.

SSA assumes that the early retirement application is due to the documented medical problem that is stated in the application for disability.

They know they are going to pay one way or another, and a denial would be difficult to justify in the appeal process.

While it's not a "slam dunk", medical retirement from government service with the accompanying documentation will really help in the appeal process.

Make sure that you file the proper paperwork for an appeal in a timely manner.

I was able to do this concerning an effective date, and the date was changed administratively without going through the appeal process.

(Had to do with misinterpretation of dates in the medical documents.)

retired 3 months ago from us govt. on a disability because of ptsd. 70% sc with 50% of that being ptsd. i applied for ss and was denied,they say i am able to work..but i was given a medical from feds...what's up?? lawyer up???? i also put in for tdiu and am waiting.

Whether we would like to believe it or not SSA looks at SC C&P results and often will look at the medical data from VA and chose to accept that or not in deciding your case. Did the Feds retire you medically as a direct result of your conditions?

At least 7 out of 10 SSDI cases are denied the first time around. TDIU would definitely be a plus otherwise it is going to be an uphill battle with SSA.

Consult with an Attorney.

TDIU will bring you to 100% in which case you'll have a better chance with SSA, but until then SSA is seeing 70% and one letter. This creates reasonable doubt and unlike the VA SSA doesn't have to decide in favor of the Applicant. I would definitely call the Lawyer. He may say that you should wait until you get TDIU. I would appeal SSA's decision, but you need more medical data supporting your inability to engage in sustainable

Do you have a medical condition that has prevented you from working or is expected to prevent you from working for at least 12 months or end in death? Call SSA and talk with them. Go down there in person. Be courteous and bring someone with you who can help you ask questions.

http://ssa-custhelp....swers.search_nl

my disability retirement is due to ptsd directly related to sc. every doc i listed to ss quoted the same.

i have one more c and p to get through before tdiu decision. the ptsd c and p doc says i should have already been 100. he said i was dangerous and gaf was 38.

Just be patient you will get it, but you probably should consult an attorney. As for the Iu, you should get it as well, but if denied gather your evidence and file a NOD and ask for a DRO hearing. At the hearing you can present your case.

JMO,

Bergie

Just be patient you will get it, but you probably should consult an attorney. As for the Iu, you should get it as well, but if denied gather your evidence and file a NOD and ask for a DRO hearing. At the hearing you can present your case.

JMO,

Bergie

Yes age has something to do with it and you will probably get it the second or third time around, but as I stated previously you need more documentation supporting SSA Disability. I would recommend that you pursue the TDIU piece as well. This may take awhile. I stand my previous answer. The evidence you present to SSA must be consistent and I would advise more than one practicioner. Who is treating you for the PTSD and who is treating you for the medical stuff. Get letters from both. My experience is that even if you haven't as of yet been granted TDIU you may be able to win by presenting more than one letter. I even had my wife write a letter and wrote a statement myself. Make sure that all the documentation is consistent. Yes, talk to an attorney, and yes ask for a DRO Hearing. I had one years ago and it definitely helped.

Again SSA is going to look at 50% and 20% and have an MD note saying you can't work. This is an easy denial for SSA because of the INCONSISTENCY in the case evidence presented. Trust me when I was working I used to do Mental Health Evaluations for SSDI. You might want to ask for an increase in your PTSD rating to 70% if you can't work, you should be able to get this pretty quickly.