VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Education For An 18 Year Old Dependant

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 7/4/2010 at 1:14 PM, JR Reihs said:

I hate to say that once 18 they are no longer your VA dependent unless still attending HS........if still attending HS, then the HS will need to verify this in writing on school letterhead.

It is the VA Form 21-674c.

• HadIt.com Elder

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

I hate to say that once 18 they are no longer your VA dependent unless still attending HS........if still attending HS, then the HS will need to verify this in writing on school letterhead.

She was 18 for the last few months of High School and I thought that if they are going to college and living at home they are still your dependant........http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp01.htm#FNA. Also when I called the 800 number they said as long as she is still in school and living at home she is....guess I am confused.

• HadIt.com Elder

JR:

You are mistaken if he fills out the right form his daughter will still be paid why over 18 still going to school. At least that is the way it worked for me and my kids as they were all summer babies and did not graduate till they were 18.

At 70% they will actually pay more than they did when under 18. Social Security will pay up to 13 months more if still in school.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Guess it is me who is confused as both of mine turned 18 a couple of months before HS graduation and the VA sent letters about both which stated that the HS needed to provide a grad date on school letterhead in order for the VA to pay as a dependent up to the grad date, after the grad date month the VA removed them from compensation.

SS worked the same way unless summer school was related to HS.

They both went on with Ch 35 so I did not look into it further.