VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denial Of Service Connection For Cyst Removal

Rate this question

thom724

Question

Need some help here guys and gals. Just had my claim for a cyst removal (scar) secondary to my already service connected pseudofolliculitis 10% (shaving bumps) denied. The claim letter states "that the condition is not related based on the statement from the examiner that epidermoid cysts are not due to pseudofolliculitis". I don't think this is true, but I'm no Dr or dermatologist. I contacted the Dr who did the surgery and he said that he couldn't write me a letter stating his opinion because the surgery was longer than a year ago. I've done some research online and the mayo clinic's website states that epidermoid cyst causes can be from "damage to a hair follicle". I had the cyst on my neck where I receive my shavings bumps and the scar from the surgery is painful, inflamed, and has keloid formation so I should get 10% for it according to the VA regs. I really need this because it will bump me to 90%. What are my options here? Go through the DAV and file a NOD? Do I need to get a Dr's opinion on my own or what??? Kinda lost here and any input would be great! Thanks!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

At 80% now are you still employed?

What medical rationale did the VA state to indicate the cyst was NOT from the pseudofolliculitis ?

What did they say it was from? (your claim makes complete medical sense to me)

Do you have a copy of the actual C & P exam?

I'm still employed at 80%. I heard that if I applied for TDUI I would have a greater shot at getting it not working so that is a totally different story. Right now I'm at 84% and one more 10% would put me at 90%.

In the decision letter it states - "However, this examination continues to show this condition is not related to the already service connected condition of pseudofolliculitis barbae based on the statement from the examiner that epidermoid cysts are not due to pseudofolliculitis, therefore it is less likely than not that the veterans scar is due to his service connected pseudofolliculitis".

I don't have a copy of the exam. The exam was done at my local VA hospital in the occupational health office. In the past I went to a contracted out (QTC) appt. So I have no clue what is different. I think I am going to call NSO DAV office tomorrow in Muskogee and see what I should do. I'm just confused about what is going on, thanks for the quick response.

Need some help here guys and gals. Just had my claim for a cyst removal (scar) secondary to my already service connected pseudofolliculitis 10% (shaving bumps) denied. The claim letter states "that the condition is not related based on the statement from the examiner that epidermoid cysts are not due to pseudofolliculitis". I don't think this is true, but I'm no Dr or dermatologist. I contacted the Dr who did the surgery and he said that he couldn't write me a letter stating his opinion because the surgery was longer than a year ago. I've done some research online and the mayo clinic's website states that epidermoid cyst causes can be from "damage to a hair follicle". I had the cyst on my neck where I receive my shavings bumps and the scar from the surgery is painful, inflamed, and has keloid formation so I should get 10% for it according to the VA regs. I really need this because it will bump me to 90%. What are my options here? Go through the DAV and file a NOD? Do I need to get a Dr's opinion on my own or what??? Kinda lost here and any input would be great! Thanks!!

The first thing to do is get a copy of the C&P exam. Next, find a dermatologist willing to opine that the cyst was the result of your Sc'd condition. Once this is done then file the NOD and ask for a DRO hearing rather than a review. You will win once you prove your case beyond a shadow of doubt. Also, when you file the NOD tell them the diagnostic code and the rating you think it should be.

JMO,

Bergie