VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu

Rate this question

John46

Question

If and when my IHD goes through I will be rated at 90% and plan to apply for TDIU. If I am awarded TDIU will the benefits be the same as P&T? Especially the health insurance for my wife?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If and when my IHD goes through I will be rated at 90% and plan to apply for TDIU. If I am awarded TDIU will the benefits be the same as P&T? Especially the health insurance for my wife?

My first question to you is: Why are you waiting? (It's costing you money, doncha know?)

And, to attempt to answer your question: It depends upon whether your TDIU is considered Permanent and Total. TDIU can either be "with future examninations scheduled" in which case it is not considered P&T or it can be awarded "with no future examinations scheduled", in which case it IS P&T. And, IF it is awarded and considered P&T, then yes it will be awarded with Chap. 35 benefits, with educational and CHAMPVA.

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA awards TDIU without Chapter 35 (P&T) you can appeal that denial and if you win it will be retro to your IU date. It takes them months to grant or deny Chapter 35 on appeal so you can get new evidence that the condition is permanent. You should have a letter from your doctor saying you are P&T. You don't want to leave the decision up to just VA evidence.

Thanks for the help. I was recently awarded an increase for R knee to 60% and L knee 10% (secondary). Total % including bilateral is 70%. I am going to have a total on L knee which would bring them to 80%. I am going to file for TDIU tomorrow. Thanks for the help again.

My first question to you is: Why are you waiting? (It's costing you money, doncha know?)

And, to attempt to answer your question: It depends upon whether your TDIU is considered Permanent and Total. TDIU can either be "with future examninations scheduled" in which case it is not considered P&T or it can be awarded "with no future examinations scheduled", in which case it IS P&T. And, IF it is awarded and considered P&T, then yes it will be awarded with Chap. 35 benefits, with educational and CHAMPVA.

I am rated TDIU and after reading your post went back to my VA rating letter and it does not have any reference to "with" or "without future examinations", so I called my State Veterans Service Representative. His comment was that I was "originally rated at 30% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus and on request for reconsideration, moved to 100% TDIU. Don't worry about it." Any comments??

• HadIt.com Elder

I am rated TDIU and after reading your post went back to my VA rating letter and it does not have any reference to "with" or "without future examinations", so I called my State Veterans Service Representative. His comment was that I was "originally rated at 30% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus and on request for reconsideration, moved to 100% TDIU. Don't worry about it." Any comments??

Well, then, ask this un-worried State Veterans Service Officer if your family qualifies for Chap. 35 benefits and when can you sign up for your free life insurance, seeing as how he isn't worried about it, or do you just send the bills to him, for him to take care of.

(If you didn't get some information from the VA along with or along about the same time as your "rating" notification granting you TDIU, then the odds are, they are NOT considering you to be Permanently and Totally disabled, BUT, you need to verify this ONE WAY OR THE OTHER). Go to the VA website and send them an "IRIS" inquiry as to whether you are or are not and request from your VA Regional Office THE LETTER that will allow you to go to your nearest military installation and participate in their "morale, welfare and recreation" programs (the card is commonly referred to as the "MWR" card, or the tan card). You need a letter from the VA Regional Office stating that you are 100% P&T, to get the MWR card, get that letter and that solves all the questions about P&T, or, at least, it should.

Well, then, ask this un-worried State Veterans Service Officer if your family qualifies for Chap. 35 benefits and when can you sign up for your free life insurance, seeing as how he isn't worried about it, or do you just send the bills to him, for him to take care of.

(If you didn't get some information from the VA along with or along about the same time as your "rating" notification granting you TDIU, then the odds are, they are NOT considering you to be Permanently and Totally disabled, BUT, you need to verify this ONE WAY OR THE OTHER). Go to the VA website and send them an "IRIS" inquiry as to whether you are or are not and request from your VA Regional Office THE LETTER that will allow you to go to your nearest military installation and participate in their "morale, welfare and recreation" programs (the card is commonly referred to as the "MWR" card, or the tan card). You need a letter from the VA Regional Office stating that you are 100% P&T, to get the MWR card, get that letter and that solves all the questions about P&T, or, at least, it should.

Thank you for your input. I did receive a letter from the VA saying that I am eligible for the life insurance ($10k) and can buy an increased amount on my own. I will certainly be contacting my State Veterans Service Representative TOMORROW and will be contacting the VA through the IRIS site. Thanks again....that is good info.