VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Life Insurance While Waiting For Dic

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

I am T&P for PTSD for 8 yrs now.

I am 58.

Would a private life insurance company insure me even though I have PTSD?

I ask this because I am concerned about the time that it will take for my wife's DIC claim to be approved.

Thank you,

Mike S.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

That is a good question. I was surprised to learn that the VA SDVI insurance is not for TDIU vets...?

Are you 100% extraschedular for PTSD? or TDIU?

http://www.insurance.va.gov/inforceglisite/buying/SDVI.htm

My husband when he was at 30% SC PTSD got life insurance policy.

He had VGLI but they took him the time ran out (I guess it was only good for 20 years coverage after discharge)?

He took the VA VGLI letter to the Life Insurance Co I deal with and had no problems getting a policy. Maybe best to contact some reputable life insurance companies.

Your wife ,if 60 or over, at time of your death might be eligible for widow's SSA Survivors benefits that come faster than most DIC awards.The SSA web site has the info on that.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's funny, for when I was awarded TDIU P&T, I signed up for the free life insurance and for the supplemental life insurance ($10,000 + $20,000). Been paying for the supplemental for almost three years now.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think where MikeS runs into difficulty is that you only have like 12 months to apply for the life insurance after you are awarded TDIU P&T. In which case his time has tolled.

Thanks Berta and Larry:

I am TDIU.

My problem is that even though my wife can apply for DIC after I have been T&P for 10 years, I need to see that she gets income from life insurance.

BUT, I don't even know wether to bother to apply at a private insurance company.

I don't know if I (or any other vet with ptsd) is considered too high of a risk to insure.

Thanks,

Mike S.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can find some other disability at least 10% then you can apply for the VA life insurance. If you are 58 and are totally disabled it may be hard to get inexpensive life insurance. They will probably want to do a physical on you. I got 250,000 of life insurance when I was 30% but I had to get a physical. I was 49 years old and still working. There are brokers who will try and find some kind of life insurance (term). It gets very expensive the older you get.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Berta and Larry:

I am TDIU.

My problem is that even though my wife can apply for DIC after I have been T&P for 10 years, I need to see that she gets income from life insurance.

BUT, I don't even know wether to bother to apply at a private insurance company.

I don't know if I (or any other vet with ptsd) is considered too high of a risk to insure.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Hello Mike. Did you hear what I typed. IF you are TDIU P&T, then you are entitled to $10k worth of life insurance at no cost to you, and another $20k for, like, around $80 a month. Whether you have waited too long to apply for this insurance, that I'm not sure of, and, I'm to busy to look it up.........but, then, you can do that, right?