VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Housebound

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi all:

How do I apply for Housebound SMC?

I am TDIU T&P for PTSD.

Thank you,

Mike S.

Mike, you have to be either housebound in fact due to your service connected condition (which is unlikely, as if you were that bad off, you'd probably be at 100 percent). Usually when housebound is granted it's what we call "statutory housebound" which means 100 percent (or the equivalent in IU), with a SEPERATE AND DISTINCT 60 percent. That is, whatever makes up that 100 percent can't be counted in the 60 percent.

So, assuming you have individual unemployability solely due to PTSD, what ELSE do you have, and what are the disability evaluations? You need an additional 60 percent worth of disabilities to be eligible for statutory housebound.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have PTSD and Agoraphobia then I think that is the kind of condition that might make you eligible for HB. What the VA is going to do is bump you up to 100% if they grant HB. A pal had IU and filed for HB. He had agoraphobia so they bumped him up to 100% schedular and granted the HB. I know there is talk about getting HB with TDIU but I am not sure that is common at all.

There are two ways to get SMC Housebound.

One, as stated by a previous poster, is being clinically housebound via Agoraphobia or other disability.

The second way is "by the numbers", or statutory housebound. This is done by having one condition rated 100% (be it T&P or UI) and another separate disability rated at 60%.

I was granted SMC Housebound due to PTSD @ 100% (scheduler, not UI) and a separate disability of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome @ 60%.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or drop me a note over at www.veteransoutreach.info and I will phone you to discuss the issue in depth.

Hi all:

How do I apply for Housebound SMC?

I am TDIU T&P for PTSD.

Thank you,

Mike S.

• HadIt.com Elder

Folks, you need to visit the regs. The regs do not state 100 percent. They state the following.

Total plus 60.

If a Vet is considered 1 condition that is totally disabling, even if it is rated at 70 percent and he has IU then he should be considered for HB or SMC S provided he has a separate disability or combination of disabilities that equate to 60 percent.

J

My original post said "This is done by having one condition rated 100% (be it T&P or UI)" That should have been IU, as in Individual Unemployability" not UI, whatever that is. Gotta love the TBI induced dyslexia!

• Founder

I am not sure on the TDIU part, but other legal beagles should be able to chime in.

I will say that you should get a letter from your psychiatrist or psychologist, a letter from both would be great. Stating that you are housebound due to Agoraphobia, or whatever the reason is. I have housebound and had letters from both doctors. I am 160% + housebound.

My original post said "This is done by having one condition rated 100% (be it T&P or UI)" That should have been IU, as in Individual Unemployability" not UI, whatever that is. Gotta love the TBI induced dyslexia!