Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Retro Compensation Food Stamps



Hello everyone, I have been away working hard in getting My husband claims, HE WON IT!!! for fibromyalgia, it was a LONG LONG fight. He got 40% for a total combined 70%..... My question i this....... we have been receiving food stamps since last year.... at the time he was employed but missing several days of work due to fibro.. we have to file the periodic report before this month ends but we just got the retro money ... we DON'T WANT to receive anymore foodstamps... he is currently on leave without pay since a few months ago by order of his Psychiatrist. we NEVER applied for an increased on food stamps or welfare or other benefits when he went on leave without pay..

Now the million dollar question, does he has to repay the food stamps? even when we didn't get the money on those months??..... he suffers sever chronic severe PTSD and he is now worried he will loose the money we just got .... now he is having an episode of severe ptsd....

thanks for your help!!

Edited by cachanilla73
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Have you tried asking the Dept of Social and Health Services if it needs to be repaid?

It seems like I remember you can keep the food stamps for the same month you recieve the retro.

After that, If you don't report the income change and continue recieving food stamps there may be criminal charges filed by DSHS & you'l have to repay it.

Give them a call to find out for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

I agree call the Department of Social Work, or whatever they might call it where you are. Write down the persons name the time and date you talked to them. Just be honest and ask them what you should do and what your concerns are.

It is much better to just call get the answer and be done with it. Then to worry...worry is very hard on PTSD'ers

Let us know what you find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also agree with Allan and Tbird and I would like to add, if you are told that you have to repay the funds, ask if there is a way that you can repay it in small payments. Some may disagree but now that your income has increased, paying in small payments will also take some of the stress off knowing that you have more income coming in instead of paying all the funds back and waiting for your new payment every month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I got my increase to 100% SC P&T, we went by the Dept of Human Services and showed the letter to the Case Worker we had. She made a copy of it and put it in our file. She told us that we didn't qualify ANYMORE, and a week later we received a letter stating that the next month our food stamps would be cut off. We were NOT charged anything to pay for the food stamps we had received for the retro period.

We live in Tennessee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it was a very nice deposit in the bank, (well nothing will be enough when your health is lost) PLEASE somebody help....


It sounds like VA already has your banking information and perhaps

SSA, Food stamps and other agencies already have your banking information also.

I agree with what other's have posted as far as calling up and seeing exactly

what you will be required to do - and doing it.

I strongly suggest that you go to your financial institute,

pull most of the money out of the account that just got the "very nice deposit" in it,

open a new (probably checking) account -

that is not tied to any agency or person via direct deposit, and put the money into the new account.

Any agency or person that is allowed to make a direct deposit into your account

also has the authority to go in and re-coup funds, if they feel they have a reason to do so.

At this point you will now have your money in an account that they can not touch.

Get everything worked out with food stamps and if you are supposed to re-pay anything

work out a payment plan as someone else already posted.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on your win.

In dealing with the food stamps or DHS.......I would do as Bonzai did, you are dealing with a goivernment agency, I would never leave it to a he said, she said conversation, I would do a face to face with the award letter in hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines