VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Compensation Food Stamps

Rate this question

cachanilla73

Question

Hello everyone, I have been away working hard in getting My husband claims, HE WON IT!!! for fibromyalgia, it was a LONG LONG fight. He got 40% for a total combined 70%..... My question i this....... we have been receiving food stamps since last year.... at the time he was employed but missing several days of work due to fibro.. we have to file the periodic report before this month ends but we just got the retro money ... we DON'T WANT to receive anymore foodstamps... he is currently on leave without pay since a few months ago by order of his Psychiatrist. we NEVER applied for an increased on food stamps or welfare or other benefits when he went on leave without pay..

Now the million dollar question, does he has to repay the food stamps? even when we didn't get the money on those months??..... he suffers sever chronic severe PTSD and he is now worried he will loose the money we just got .... now he is having an episode of severe ptsd....

thanks for your help!!

Edited by cachanilla73

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi everyone, well my husband called this morning and told them he didn't want to receive the food stamps anymore. He thanked them because when we were in need we received the help. The person on the phone even told him we still qualify with the increase of the va comp. because he is in leave without pay and the va comp wasn't enough (we are 6 in the family) and the chapter 31 benefits don't count, but my husband refuse the help this time. We are very very grateful and don't want abuse the system like many people do.

I want to thank again this wonderful website, we have learned so much about the claims and the process, we're still in the fight, he just request IU the same day he got the va letter. I just want to tell you the best advocate is yourself or your loved one fighting for you. Research, research and research.... it's a very long battle (most of the time) and it can hit hard, but don't give up.

Thanks!!!

food stamps do not need to be repaid. They will stop them effective the month you ceased to qualify. If you lied to get them they mark your file and you cant get them again without jumping through major hoops.

Congrats. Go do something nice for each other, now.

• HadIt.com Elder

if with 6 people your income does not exceed the limits the federal and state govts have set for food stamps and you still qualify for them TAKE them you are entitled to them there are many active duty troops who get food stamps because their paychecks are not enough to properly feed their families

you are not ABUSING the system to take a benefit every other American can and do take if you weren't entitled to them they would cut you off they may not give your family as many as they were before your husbands VA claim was adjusted higher but heck every dollar you are entitled to in food stamps gives you another dollar to buy the kids clothes, school supplies etc maybe even a family night out at the movies

theres nothing wrong in taking a govt benefit that is LEGAL ask him to reconsider he is only hurting the entire family why? doesn't he like you and want the best for you?

Pride is an admirable trait but it doesn't put food on the table