VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Agent Orange New Presumptive Ischemic Heart Disease

Rate this question

oldtimer

Question

Hello Everyone,

I had a C&P yesterday for the new presumptive ischemic heart disease. This is the first C&P I had, I never heard the word C&P until I received a letter for the exam.

Anyway, it wasn't a good experience, The doctor, I guess she was a doctor, didn't give her name ask a few questions, Do you smoke, can you dress yourself, said my ejection rate was good, .

There was a langauge barrier, most of the time I didn't understand her questions, I am not sure if she understood my answers, she had no prior history of my heart attacks or bypass surgery.

I belive if she represents the V.A. style of C&P exams for agent orange presumptive ischemic heart disease then a lot of veterans are going to be disapointed.

we will be lucky if we get a 0% service connected rateing, at least we may get some of our heart medicine w/o a co payment, thats the best I can hope for.

I wish every one the best, I know how it is, having living with this disease since my 30's.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Oldtimer, They give you a comment card when you go to one of these please make sure you send that in and tell them about your experience!

Now did you file a claim for your heart disease? If you have your health records from back when you were treated you should be fine.

good luck to you!

Oldtimer, They give you a comment card when you go to one of these please make sure you send that in and tell them about your experience!

Now did you file a claim for your heart disease? If you have your health records from back when you were treated you should be fine.

good luck to you!

Hello Stillhere,

I file my claim onlined, and gave them the information where to obtain my medical records, I am still learning the v.a. claims process, I have learned a lot from all of you on this site. Many thanks, also, I see that I will have to obtained the records myself and send them in to claims.

I served in the army as a medic in a m*a*s*h unit in the delta in 1967- 1968 and was around a lot of brown water navy, in fact my son , when he finish college joined the Navy and he is a chief, he heard my stories about the Navy in DongTam, Vietnam.

Thanks for the info.

'oldtimer

I was very disappointed with the way the VA did my IHD C&P exam, lasted all of about 15 minutes. Examiner stated she hadn't read my records yet. Asked the same questions you stated. Checked my heart and lungs and looked at my feet and lower legs and said it was over. a week before the exam the VA had me in for an Echo. Those results showed a higher LVEF than from earlier tests but did state IHD and heart wall scarring. If they go by the Echo alone I might get a 30% rating.  I really thought I was getting the shaft until I got a copy of the exam results. It states estimated LVEF of 50 -55%, chronic congestive heart failure ands METS 3 or less. You might have to wait a month or so to get a copy of your C&P exam and it might turn out to be a lot more favorable to you than you'd expect at this point. 

PS - I was with the 117th MRF (68-69) and went to DongTam many times.

When I had my C&P for IHD (AO) the PA who did mine went back and added an attachment to his report changing his estimation of my METS. He was a Vet himself and shared his frustration with his prior claims also. His change in the report was in my favor. Said that I should be rated at 60% when the regs were changed. The other C&P PA gave me a favorable result on a knee being secondary to the other (after many years). Found out that she was a military brat and seemed to like veterans. She thanked me for my service. (first time that has happened to me at the VA).