VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Do You Veterans Wait? Tell Me, What Are You Waiting For?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have, over the last couple months, heard several of our new (and some not so new) Hadit members make statements such as "We're waiting, and as soon as we get an increase in my disability percentage well, then we're going to file for TDIU."

REALLY?

GEE?

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? NO, REALLY, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

If you even have the hint of possible success in filing for TDIU, DO NOT WAIT for some other increase, or whatever. JUST FILE your form 21-8940. BECAUSE YOU ARE COSTING YOURSELF MONEY. SERIOUS MONEY!

After all, when you file the proper form, you ARE filing for an increase. If you do NOT file the "proper form" then the VA is not going to "inferr" that you qualify for TDIU.

COME ON FOLKS!

SHEEESH!

I've added up the number of folks on here in the last couple months, plus the folks that I have coming to me OUTSIDE of the HAdit Forum and I've counted 11 people that I remember.

ELEVEN. THAT I KNOW OF.

And, most do not and will not, file for the proper EED.............geeee, just look at all the money you saved the VA. I, for one, am proud of you...................... :blink:

• Answers 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have, over the last couple months, heard several of our new (and some not so new) Hadit members make statements such as "We're waiting, and as soon as we get an increase in my disability percentage well, then we're going to file for TDIU."

REALLY?

GEE?

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? NO, REALLY, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

If you even have the hint of possible success in filing for TDIU, DO NOT WAIT for some other increase, or whatever. JUST FILE your form 21-8940. BECAUSE YOU ARE COSTING YOURSELF MONEY. SERIOUS MONEY!

After all, when you file the proper form, you ARE filing for an increase. If you do NOT file the "proper form" then the VA is not going to "inferr" that you qualify for TDIU.

COME ON FOLKS!

SHEEESH!

I've added up the number of folks on here in the last couple months, plus the folks that I have coming to me OUTSIDE of the HAdit Forum and I've counted 11 people that I remember.

ELEVEN. THAT I KNOW OF.

And, most do not and will not, file for the proper EED.............geeee, just look at all the money you saved the VA. I, for one, am proud of you...................... :blink:

LJ,

I totally agree, couldn't have said it better myself...

Bergie

Good advice. Do the math.

If you are 40% disabled and get $500 per month (Im using round numbers..and not applying dependents).

If you get TDIU at the 100% rate at $2600 per month (again, round numbers) and it would be effective the date you apply.

That is, in this case it costs you $2100 per month (2600-500) to wait, for each month you wait. How many $2100 do you want to "throw away" by delaying applying?

I filled some years back...still waiting for a barrage of my claims tobe read/viewed/acted upon... I believe many are 1) ?afraid to file for this or 2) read the rules and are looking for the 70% one which one being 50,,,etc,,, so they assume that if below a certain % it will automatically be thrown out...That is my assumption anyway! Maybe right/maybe wrong, JMHO.

• HadIt.com Elder

I filled some years back...still waiting for a barrage of my claims tobe read/viewed/acted upon... I believe many are 1) ?afraid to file for this or 2) read the rules and are looking for the 70% one which one being 50,,,etc,,, so they assume that if below a certain % it will automatically be thrown out...That is my assumption anyway! Maybe right/maybe wrong, JMHO.

Well, actually, if you are below "the percentage" that everyone ASSUMES that they have to have, to be "qualified" to be "awarded" TDIU...........then you are waiting for entirely the WRONG reason.

Two questions you need to ask yourself:

1. Can I work? I mean, Do Your Disability(ies) Keep You FROM Employment?

2. Are you gonna heal, get well, resurect(sp?) yourself anytime between NOW and the time you DIE?

If you come up with two "NO" answers, then you best be filing for TDIU.

Look, folks, when you file for TDIU you are filing for an INCREASE...............regardless of what claims you have in the works that you are WAITING ON.

I can't think of any other ways that I can say this.

I'm gonna go see if my bbq goat is done yet.

I hear you Larry I have been 80% for well over 5 years and got 90% back in Feb. 09 for PTSD.

I wanted to work and actually enjoyed it and was making some good bucks + insurance and stuff and just did not feel I fit the model at the time.

now I have been out of work for just over 3 months and will be filing very soon Monday probably. For myslef I wanted to give it one more shot but the PTSD really holds me back and I am going to pack it in.

Think the govt will give me a bonus! Yeah right!

"I have, over the last couple months, heard several of our new (and some not so new) Hadit members make statements such as "We're waiting, and as soon as we get an increase in my disability percentage well, then we're going to file for TDIU."

REALLY?"

Again Larry is RIGHT!!!!!

I still remember the stupid mantra of some, not all, vet reps who would insist a vet had to be 70% to file for TDIU.

I decided to see if that was true when I got an email from a vet many years ago I helped who had a PTSD vet who have never been to VA and never filed a claim. This vet had years of private psychiatric records.All he needed was proof of stressor and forget how we dealt with that.Maybe he had the CAR I think on his DD 214.He certainly had the PTSD diagnosis.Maybe he also had a SSA award for PTSD.

I emailed the TDIU form to my vet friend to give him with a few pointers on how to fill it out.

4 months later -yes 4 months!-this veteran was awarded TDIU.

It was the second fastest claim I ever helped with- the other one was a 100% under 1151 vet's claim.

There is absolutely nothing I could find printed on the 8940 nor in 38 CFR that said there had to be a certain percentage before the 'veteran' themselves could apply for TDIU.

Except -if you work for the VA- then only a 70% rating would trigger the VA to send the 8940 form.

If you wait for that to occur-as Larry said- you have -as likely as not-lost money.

I noticed my former reps looked all over one day in their office for a TDIU form. I felt helpless watching this chaos. I always have a floppy in my drive with the 8940 on it to attach to posts here at hadit.In many cases the TDIU form should even be referred to and attached to NODS.