VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Do You Veterans Wait? Tell Me, What Are You Waiting For?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have, over the last couple months, heard several of our new (and some not so new) Hadit members make statements such as "We're waiting, and as soon as we get an increase in my disability percentage well, then we're going to file for TDIU."

REALLY?

GEE?

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? NO, REALLY, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

If you even have the hint of possible success in filing for TDIU, DO NOT WAIT for some other increase, or whatever. JUST FILE your form 21-8940. BECAUSE YOU ARE COSTING YOURSELF MONEY. SERIOUS MONEY!

After all, when you file the proper form, you ARE filing for an increase. If you do NOT file the "proper form" then the VA is not going to "inferr" that you qualify for TDIU.

COME ON FOLKS!

SHEEESH!

I've added up the number of folks on here in the last couple months, plus the folks that I have coming to me OUTSIDE of the HAdit Forum and I've counted 11 people that I remember.

ELEVEN. THAT I KNOW OF.

And, most do not and will not, file for the proper EED.............geeee, just look at all the money you saved the VA. I, for one, am proud of you...................... :blink:

• Answers 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Question--

I was awarded a 70% ptsd with depression and polysubsance abuse. and also given 100% individual unemployability back in August 2009.

should I ask for TDIU - pt?? Just askin: Sounds like mabe i should.

Well, you state that you already have TDIU.............so, all ya gotta do now is get the P&T. You'll need to send them a healthcare provider's statement that you are, in fact, permanently and totally disabled.

Fill out a VA form #21-4138 and simply state that you are requesting to be granted Permanent and Total.

Mail it in to the VARO, return receipt requested.

Larrj J:

They gave me 100% IU with future exam in august 2011 not 100%Tdiu. unless there is no difference in the two.

sorry for the misstake---- thanx man

• HadIt.com Elder

Larrj J:

They gave me 100% IU with future exam in august 2011 not 100%Tdiu. unless there is no difference in the two.

sorry for the misstake---- thanx man

100% IU and 100% TDIU are in fact, the same thing. You received 100% Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability (some of the more lazy among us simply referr to it as "IU", being too lazy to write out the ENTIRE award designation):rolleyes: !

What you have NOT received, and what is a "different" portion of the TDIU awards is whether the VA thinks that your condition MAY improve in the future, therefore scheduling you for upcoming exams to SEE if it has improved, and, of course, if it has, then they will drop you back down to a lower rating.

If you possibly can, it would behoove you to see if you can find someone to write you a medical opinion stating that they do not believe that you will ever work again, due to your service-connected disabilities.

100% IU and 100% TDIU, sameo, sameo!

I think maybe some of the fear in filing too early, is that some may be concerned about reconsideration, appealing and the VA denying and closing the case after a certain point. Just like they do for regular claims.

Are the rules the same when it comes to TDIU claims and regular claims. If you are denied, can you appeal. If the case is closed, can you reopen it or reapply?

True, the worst they can say is no. I think some people are afraid they'll say no, never ever, you missed out and cannot ask again. Is there a limit to applying and providing supportive information for TDIU?

Did that make sense?

Draggin'

Ed,

Do you not have a CPAP machine for your apnea?

When I sensed hesitation getting mine (back in Blue Cross days) I mentioned that I was falling asleep in traffic and got immediate approval.

Get that sleep study and a machine before you're dead :smile:

Tdiu is an increase. If this is correct then I find the advice contradicting. My understanding is/was that if you you change the claim at all while it is in the process that it will be pulled from where it is from and brought back to square one. I could be understanding this all wrong, but this is why this newbie is hesitant with filing when I haven't even gotten my first decision yet.