VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&t For Ptsd And Voc Rehab

Rate this question

Marinesniper

Question

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank EVERYONE who has taken the time to respond to my numerous questions in the past. I have had nothing but very informative and caring responses from the users on this board, and your comments have always helped me work through whatever issue it is I was dealing with at the time. Having said that I have a new question that I would like to present to the Hadit community. I am currently rated as 100% P&T for Major Depressive Disorder w/Anxiety Attacks AND PTSD, as well as SMC for other disabilities totaling approximately 60% (Sleep Apnea @ 50%, Tinnitus @ 10%, other disabilities at approx 10%). I was initially granted an award of 10% back in 1999 when I initially separated from the USMC, and I was attending Nursing School through the Vocational Rehabilitation program from around 2002-2004 when I had to drop out due to medical reasons. Shortly thereafter (approx 2005) my rating was increased to 100% P&T for PTSD and SMC was added for the additional 50%+. I did not return to my Nursing School due to the fact that I could not continue my clinical rotations while on narcotic pain meds that I am still taking today due to degenerative disc disease in my spine. I would like to add that the increase in my disability in 2005 was back dated to 1999, as it was found that these conditions existed during my time in service. I spoke with my VA Therapist about a year ago who stated that although I would never be able to work full-time ever again due to the severity of my PTSD, they did believe that I would at some point be able to pursue part-time employment at some point in the future. After much prayer and personal introspection I have realized that I believe I could pursue a career as a Patisserie/Bakery Chef decorating cakes out of my home on a part-time basis. Working out of my own home would allow me to pursue some type of gainful employment while working in an environment that would allow me to avoid the stressors and situations that aggravate/cause my PTSD and anxiety attacks. While it would be impossible to explain the nature of my disabilities, and how they keep me from being able to pursue gainful employment suffice it to say that I am unable to manage interpersonal and professional relationships with people in a working environment, and being around crowds causes severe panic attacks/feelings of being suffocated and my life being in danger. The ONLY way I can work would be in a situation where there are NOT a lot of people and I am NOT under direct supervision from an individual, AND I have a place that I can retreat to when things begin to get crazy. This is why working from home is such an ideal situation. Believe it or not, my Vocational Rehabilitation counselor was actually open to the idea of pursuing my education for the purpose of opening my own home based cake decorating business given the uniqueness of my disabilities, providing I could get signed off by my VA doctors stating that they feel I could handle the stressors of such a situation. OK...HERE IS MY QUESTION..Am I putting my 100% P&T at risk by applying for Voc Rehab? Can they take away my rating just for applying for Voc Rehab? Can I work part-time from my house and still maintain my 100% P&T rating? What are your recommendations regarding this whole situation? Once again, I thank you for your time and I realize that there are endless possibilities and answers to this question. Please answer the question to the best of your ability, and feel free to email me or ask me here should you require any further information.

Sincerely Yours,

Jeff Crockett

I told you that you could do it and if the Voc Rehab says you can't work which is probably what will happen you move to ILP and get something nice from that.

Good Luck

Yep...you were right Pete! I think the counselor is talking about going with the Independent Living Program..which still allows me to go to school to earn my degree..either way, you were right and everything works out...it's just too bad I looked like an ass before I found all this out..oh well...I've done that more than once in life, as I'm sure most of you could tell..Either way...it's done now and over..so we can move on..:) Thanks for your advice and help Pete..:)

Yep, I agree with ya totally Chu Lai...I was just letting everyone know what I decided to do..biggrin.gif I am now at ease with my decision, but I wanted to let everyone know what Comp & Pension, not Vocational Rehabilitation said just in case anyone else might be wondering what the VA's official stance is concerning the situation. I already apologized profusely for my earlier outburst, and I think I have made it a point to abundantly thank everyone here for taking time out of their day to answer my questions and share their experiences with me..By the way..I wasn't looking for the answer the "I" wanted..what's with that response? I took the information that everyone gave me, checked up on it, processed it and made my decision...isn't that what an informed person is supposed to do? Since when is acting on information looking for the right answer that I want? Not sure what I did to ruffle your feathers, but lighten up, Francis ok? lol...Anyways...whatever happens now is my doing or undoing..and I am at peace with that decision and will deal with whatever happens..

No feathers ruffled Marinesniper, just hated seeing you go through all that stress on trying to decide on what to do. Like you really need more stress?? LOL Good luck on what you decide and like I said before, a lot of people here will always support you.

No feathers ruffled Marinesniper, just hated seeing you go through all that stress on trying to decide on what to do. Like you really need more stress?? LOL Good luck on what you decide and like I said before, a lot of people here will always support you.

Thanks a lot Chu Lai! I just hope to GOD I'm not back here in about 6 months crying my eyes out and beating myself up because I made the wrong decision..but sometimes you have to grab life by the balls and just make a decision..which is what I did...anyways...I've jumped in the water, now it's time to work on keeping my head above it..:)

I was going to suggest you check with the travel office to get paid for attending appointments at the VAMC. I know a lot of Vets are not aware of this benefit. I wasn't aware til about a year ago. I get $70 each time I go to an appointment at the VAMC. It was a real burden on us to drive to the VAMC. Well, I hope everything works out for you and your family.