VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newly Diagnosed

Rate this question

Guest fedupinpa

Question

Guest fedupinpa

I have been getting the Va run around for years, I filed a PTSD claim in 2002 and was denied, went through all steps, NOD, etc, end result denial and diagnosed with other diagnoses like anxiety disorder etc. I was Diagnosed with PTSD from civilian psychiatrist, was medicated and counselled.

Had another exam in 2005 and again in 2006 and once again they danced around it and called it anxiety, etc.

Anyway on 6/29/2010

I had an exam and here was the result

Axis I: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate.

Axis II: No Diagnosis

Axis III: Various listed, I am only concerned with current right now

Axis IV: Relationship issues with family and supervisor at work, extreme discomfort interacting with other individuals, and ongoing poor quality of sleep that impacts her day to day functioning.

Axis V: GAF 51

Goes on explaining that GAF was determined diagnoses of PTSD alone, her diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder alone, her diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder alone or all three in any combination. Goes on to state that he believes that all three diagnoses are the direct result of her military service in Iraq.

The entire exam is 7 pages long and he disects the other two exams through out the narrative implying through out that it should have been diagnosed as PTSD, he also stated during the exam that it should have been done a long time ago.

So my questions are:

What percentage could I possibly be looking at?

Should it be back dated to 2002 when I filed for the original claim? How will the date of the decision be determined?

Since a VA Psych finally diagnosed it in a comp and pension exam am I guarenteed a rating?

I thank you in advance for your time and help here. Great site.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The New York Times says the new PTSD regs will apply to all war vets. I guess we will have to wait until we see the exact wording. If merely being in a combat zone and feeling acute anxiety or threat is the criteria that would apply to many vets. If you are getting combat pay there must be a reason for that. Granted, there is big difference between combat infantryman and cook, but both could get greased in a combat zone. People have died in the Green Zone in Iraq or making a run to the PX in Vietnam. In a war where there are no front lines the whole country is unsafe.

• HadIt.com Elder

It will be interesting to see exactly what they are trying to do with this. I have my doubts that it will be as easy as some are thinking. I think they were aiming to help the newer Veterans but they included all Wars.

Many of us including myself did not become aware of what was causing our problems till years after we left the Service.

I just thought I was nuts till I found out 21 years after separation I had Panic Disorder

Does anyone know the timeframe that a completed claim will be at the rating board at a regional office, this is a 2008 claim that is complete, would it be 30, 60, 90 days? It moved really quickly to the rating board once the exam was back. Like with in a week, so should it move through the raters as quickly considering it is a 2008 claim?

Guest fedupinpa

When I called the other day a guy on the va phone told me that I have a suspense date of 9/7/10, he said that I should have a decision by then. Should I count on this, he says it looks like they have everything they need. They should it has been with them a while and I have been to two comp exams since this claim.