VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Supplemental Insurance Gap?

Rate this question

coldwater54

Question

Supplemental insurance to CHAMPVA is

ASI - which drops when the veteran turns 70

CHAMPVAUS - which drops when the veteran turns 65

This seems to be regardless of the age of the spouse who is the one needing and using the supplemental insurance.

A veteran's spouse has CHAMPVA and supplemental insurance coverage, the supplemental insurance will drop when he is 70 and she will be 60. Is there supplemental insurance for that gap?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

The supplemental should not matter cause everyone once they reach 65 get Medicare unless they are not Americans I guess. Medicare becomes primary payer and ChampVA becomes secondary.

My wife has this and all we pay is the 50 buck deductible at beginning of year and 25% copay for Meds. I actually think it is better than what I have

From the Association & Society Insurance (ASI) Corporation website:

"Eligibility for spouse ends at age 65. At age 65 the spouse becomes eligible for Medicare and CHAMPVA for Life."

You can also sign up for CHAMPVA supplemental at American Military Retired Association (AMRA); which may be the same thing, as both are underwritten by the Hartford Corporation. - 100% and TDIU can join.

• HadIt.com Elder

From the Association & Society Insurance (ASI) Corporation website:

"Eligibility for spouse ends at age 65. At age 65 the spouse becomes eligible for Medicare and CHAMPVA for Life."

You can also sign up for CHAMPVA supplemental at American Military Retired Association (AMRA); which may be the same thing, as both are underwritten by the Hartford Corporation. - 100% and TDIU can join.

Yup, Bonzai, ASI is the underwriter for the supplemental policy that AMRA uses. Can't beat Hartford (my grandpappy was a Hartford agent for, like, 50 years).

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

The supplemental should not matter cause everyone once they reach 65 get Medicare unless they are not Americans I guess. Medicare becomes primary payer and ChampVA becomes secondary.

My wife has this and all we pay is the 50 buck deductible at beginning of year and 25% copay for Meds. I actually think it is better than what I have

Pete, I don't see whay you don't get your wife some of that supplemental insurance. That way NONE of her healthcare would cost you anything. No deductible at the beginning of the year and no co-pay for meds. The reason I am so "sold" on the supplemental is the fact that my wife's a diabetic and some of her medication (the gila monster spit) can run over $400-$500 at a whack, hence, the 25% co-pay can run us over $1,800 a year. A "no-brainer" with the supplemental costing us $90 every quarter.

just sayin...............