VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes, Medications,

Rate this question

Papa Jack

Question

I have a few questions , I was going to post on the claims research forum but it says I cannot start a new subject...or something like that.

I am rated at 80% from the VA for PTSD and Diabetes.

1) I am Diabetic, VA Diagnosed me. VA provides my Metformin.

I have friends who I served with in Nam, most all have Diabetes, One in Texas gets shoes and socks from the VA about every 6 months.

I asked him how he got the ugly shoes ? He said from the VA and If I had Diabetes I could get em too... Just had to ask and to be fitted by the VA.

So I asked the VA dr. How can I get shoes and Socks ? He says do you have sores on your feet ? NO, my feet are pretty good other than Fungus and some loss of feeling... He says, then you don't get shoes....

So, are shoes available and if so, whats the deal getting em ????

2) Medications: Prior to getting into the VA I had a local DR., Because I had high blood pressure and Cholestrol, I was on several meds.for treatment.

Quinapril

Atenolol

Hydrochlorothiazide

Zocor ( Cholesterol )

I asked the VA dr. about getting these meds thru the VA ? NOPE, you had high B/P before we diagnosed the high blood sugar...However, they did issue me Simvastatin in place of the Zocor. They also started me on low dose aspirin and they issue that as well.

I thought that when I was 80% I was intitled to ALL my meds ?????

So one day I was having a VA check up, and the Dr wrote a Rx for Lisinapril, she said it would help my B/P and protect my kidneys....( I am already taking QUINAPRIL and I listed it in my list of meds. ! It was in my files ). I didn't take the pills, I knew better. She called a few days later and asked how I was doing, I asked her about the Lisinapril and informed her that I was taking Quinapril..... Ohhhhh my goodness, I see that now on the computer, I'm so sorry, do not take those meds ,you are already taking the same drugs.!

Seeee, here is the problem, every time I go to the VA I sign in on the computer and it lists all my Medications and asks if I am still taking them, I mark all the boxes, and I carry a list of all my meds. So now I have VA meds and non VA Rx's, and sometime or other there is going to be a BIG mistake because they don't pay attention !!

Sooooo, How do I get the VA to give me my drugs ?

I attend my Viet Nam Unit reunions, they are held every two years, talking with the guys ( most all of them have Diabetes....and B/P and Cholesterol ) I find that most all are 100% one way or another ( PTSD or whatever..) and they are getting their meds from the VA.

I am also finding that there is a wide difference in the way the VA treats the vets. from one state to another. Some have no problems at all, some have to jump thru hoops.

This is the first of several questions, I hope you guys can offer some answers, I'll get into my claim at a later post......Thanks for your time !! "Papa Jack" ps: as of the 10th of July, I am once again PAPA JACK, my grandson #4 was born, Life is GOOD ! my gene pool lives on....

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Watch the orders they give you as far as monitoring your DM with the testing equipment...they told me to check my BS 6 times a day for two weeks, then I got low on supplies and called to reorder and they said no, too early...I said I have been using these up...they said oh no we forgot to tell you only for one week then just 2 times a week. IDIOTS AGAIN!! They finally sent me more lancets and monitoring glucose strips...Yes they will pay/send these to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

halos2,

When I was first diagnosed by my private Dr for Diabetes type II, he wanted me to test four times a day after my blood sugar went to 936.

The VA Dr I saw said VA will only allow enough test strips for testing of three times a day. So that’s all I’ve been able to get prescribed. My private Dr recommends testing before and after meals. But that's not going to cut it with only being allowed three tests strips pr day.

They gave me an inferior tester at first. I bought an aviva tester when I got out of intensive care but VA Dr said the VA didn't carry that brand of test strip & I would have to buy them myself if I wanted to use it.

A simple call to the VA pharmacy cleared that up. The pharmacist said to just ask the VAMC Dr to change the prescription.

Always double check with the VA pharmacy if you don't think the Dr is on the ball with it. Things change on them & they're not always up to date.

Allan

Watch the orders they give you as far as monitoring your DM with the testing equipment...they told me to check my BS 6 times a day for two weeks, then I got low on supplies and called to reorder and they said no, too early...I said I have been using these up...they said oh no we forgot to tell you only for one week then just 2 times a week. IDIOTS AGAIN!! They finally sent me more lancets and monitoring glucose strips...Yes they will pay/send these to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would also like to add that with Type 2 debetics, The VA WILL NOT give you the Strips and lancets to measure your blood sugar. I'm service connected for Type 2 due to Agent Orange. They (Va) gave me a reader, 1 box of strips to stick in the reader, one box of lancets to poke yourself with and meds. They will continue the Meds but, NOT ANYTHING esle they said I'm on my own..duh...I'm service connected at 20% just for the Type 2 and over 50% overall..I thought if you were service connected everything was covered? Well, ITS NOT!!

They said (va) that I have to progress to Type 1 before they give me the strips and lancets..duh again...Isn't the whole point is to try and not advance to type 1 or at least slow it down. Well, without the tools to momitor myself..guess what? I see type 1 right arourd the cornor.

Does Anyone know where it states in the VA regs where we don't get this items and service connected for the conditon? I sure would like to read that. You can reach me at dman00194875@msn.com.

Dennis Rick

I am type 2 and I get meter, strips 120 a month, meds and shoes. The people you are dealing with should be locked up in jail. I wonder how many Veterans not testing correctly will end up costing a lot more to the VA than the damn strips.

I am type 2 and I get meter, strips 120 a month, meds and shoes. The people you are dealing with should be locked up in jail. I wonder how many Veterans not testing correctly will end up costing a lot more to the VA than the damn strips.

The VA here in Hillsboro, Oregon recently changed meters and test strips to the Aviva Accu-Chek, with the coded test strips..... I'm to test twice a week because they said I had my B/S in control with the Metfomin and diet... My last VA check up in January my A1C was 7.0.... ( thats high for me ! ) because it was shortly after xmas and we had gotten 3 two pound boxes of Ceec's Chocolats for xmas ! I really hate that check up after pigging out at xmas and new years....

My civi Dr. checked my B/S in May and my A1C was 6.0....At that time he put me on some new Cholestrol meds that work thru the intestines rather than ruin my liver.

The meds are Colesevelam HCI ( Trade Name Welchol ) This tuff works well with Metformin and also helps to drop the blood sugars....But it's $pendy a Rx cost about $300.00 and my insurance pays most of it .

Because this is a Civi Dr. Rx, I dout if I can get the VA to get it for me, I'm really leary of that whole thing of fighting with those people to get my meds.....It would be nice to get all my meds thru one place so everyone is on the same page incase something happens......

I hear some people on this and other forums talk about getting Rx from their dr's to the VA....One guy askes the Dr. to write two Rx, and faxes one to the VA and one ( for only 10 days of pills ) to the local pharmacy.... I want to know EXACTLY how to do it right and I have yet to get a solid answer.....

I'll put this on my list of questions to ask the VA dr. next time I am in there..... Thank's !! Guys..... "papa jack"

• HadIt.com Elder

Papajack,

you need to have your VA care provider have a consult with your private care Dr.

If the VA Dr agrees with your private Dr's prescription, he then can write you one through the VA . It's all up to the VA DR if they want to go along with it or not.

Provide "ALL" your private Dr's contact information including fax number to your VAMC Dr.

I've done this with metformin and all my other medications my private Dr has prescribed. The only thing I have to pay out of pocket for is Oxycontin CR,(Controlled Release). The VA was providing this for patients who can't tollerate Methadone or Morphine long acting pain meds, but reclassified it for terminally ill patients "only", to save money. So i'm out $250.00 a month for that one. It's a blessing I don't have to pay for the others atleast.

Check out the VA's medication formulary list to see if Colesevelam HCI is on it before you request it from your Dr. Also there may be a generac brand the VA has that is just as good, so discuss it with your PCP.

There is no reason why you can't consoldate all your meds through the VA Dr unless they don't have it on their formulary list.

Papajack,

you need to have your VA care provider have a consult with your private care Dr.

If the VA Dr agrees with your private Dr's prescription, he then can write you one through the VA . It's all up to the VA DR if they want to go along with it or not.

Provide "ALL" your private Dr's contact information including fax number to your VAMC Dr.

I've done this with metformin and all my other medications my private Dr has prescribed. The only thing I have to pay out of pocket for is Oxycontin CR,(Controlled Release). The VA was providing this for patients who can't tollerate Methadone or Morphine long acting pain meds, but reclassified it for terminally ill patients "only", to save money. So i'm out $250.00 a month for that one. It's a blessing I don't have to pay for the others atleast.

Check out the VA's medication formulary list to see if Colesevelam HCI is on it before you request it from your Dr. Also there may be a generac brand the VA has that is just as good, so discuss it with your PCP.

There is no reason why you can't consoldate all your meds through the VA Dr unless they don't have it on their formulary list.

Thank's Allan, I'll look into that Formulary list.... I need to make a appointment with my VA dr. to discuss all this so I know what has to happen. I really don't want to fire my Civi Dr....I like being able to get into see a Dr. the same day if need be. These VA Dr's don't always work daily, some only a couple days a week, so just getting an appointment is hard to do. I can't see loosing several days getting meds while I'm waiting for a VA Dr. to approve.

Seems like a better way to do that would be to get established with the VA Dr. and then be put on a list in the VA pharmacy so you could simply send the Pharmacy your Rx and they'd fill it and send it out....Why have a pissin contest between the two DR's ? But, what do I know ? Papa Jack