VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes, Medications,

Rate this question

Papa Jack

Question

I have a few questions , I was going to post on the claims research forum but it says I cannot start a new subject...or something like that.

I am rated at 80% from the VA for PTSD and Diabetes.

1) I am Diabetic, VA Diagnosed me. VA provides my Metformin.

I have friends who I served with in Nam, most all have Diabetes, One in Texas gets shoes and socks from the VA about every 6 months.

I asked him how he got the ugly shoes ? He said from the VA and If I had Diabetes I could get em too... Just had to ask and to be fitted by the VA.

So I asked the VA dr. How can I get shoes and Socks ? He says do you have sores on your feet ? NO, my feet are pretty good other than Fungus and some loss of feeling... He says, then you don't get shoes....

So, are shoes available and if so, whats the deal getting em ????

2) Medications: Prior to getting into the VA I had a local DR., Because I had high blood pressure and Cholestrol, I was on several meds.for treatment.

Quinapril

Atenolol

Hydrochlorothiazide

Zocor ( Cholesterol )

I asked the VA dr. about getting these meds thru the VA ? NOPE, you had high B/P before we diagnosed the high blood sugar...However, they did issue me Simvastatin in place of the Zocor. They also started me on low dose aspirin and they issue that as well.

I thought that when I was 80% I was intitled to ALL my meds ?????

So one day I was having a VA check up, and the Dr wrote a Rx for Lisinapril, she said it would help my B/P and protect my kidneys....( I am already taking QUINAPRIL and I listed it in my list of meds. ! It was in my files ). I didn't take the pills, I knew better. She called a few days later and asked how I was doing, I asked her about the Lisinapril and informed her that I was taking Quinapril..... Ohhhhh my goodness, I see that now on the computer, I'm so sorry, do not take those meds ,you are already taking the same drugs.!

Seeee, here is the problem, every time I go to the VA I sign in on the computer and it lists all my Medications and asks if I am still taking them, I mark all the boxes, and I carry a list of all my meds. So now I have VA meds and non VA Rx's, and sometime or other there is going to be a BIG mistake because they don't pay attention !!

Sooooo, How do I get the VA to give me my drugs ?

I attend my Viet Nam Unit reunions, they are held every two years, talking with the guys ( most all of them have Diabetes....and B/P and Cholesterol ) I find that most all are 100% one way or another ( PTSD or whatever..) and they are getting their meds from the VA.

I am also finding that there is a wide difference in the way the VA treats the vets. from one state to another. Some have no problems at all, some have to jump thru hoops.

This is the first of several questions, I hope you guys can offer some answers, I'll get into my claim at a later post......Thanks for your time !! "Papa Jack" ps: as of the 10th of July, I am once again PAPA JACK, my grandson #4 was born, Life is GOOD ! my gene pool lives on....

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am having problems with my control and am very suspicious of the meds that are being supplied. I wonder if they are outdated, cheap or improperly stored and handled causing them to not be effective?