VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Waiting Time

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

As of June 4th, my attorney spoke with a person who claimed to be the DRO assigned to my case. They went over the file contents to be sure he had all the relevant material and the lawyers brief and addendum. He did.

So from that point on we wait for him to go through his backlog, get to the file and make a determination. Then that probably goes through a process of review and the final report, disbursement orders (if needed), etc. are prepared.

It's been over a month and I'm wondering what a reasonable waiting time might. To get to this point with the appeal has taken months and had to have a review C & P exam (which I had and have seen the report) and so all requested exams have been done, the lawyers brief are in his hands, so all that wating time has gone by. But once he gets the case, what can be expected?

Any ideas? This is the Oakland VRO (I know times vary from RO to RO quite a bit).

Any info would be helpful. I know everyone says just forget about it, when it comes it comes. But that's easier said than done.

Thanks, John

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally the DRO claims seem to be taking anywhere from 6 months to a couple of yrs, depending on how busy the RO/DRO is and what his/her vacation plans are. Sorry, I can't offer better news!

pr

As of June 4th, my attorney spoke with a person who claimed to be the DRO assigned to my case. They went over the file contents to be sure he had all the relevant material and the lawyers brief and addendum. He did.

So from that point on we wait for him to go through his backlog, get to the file and make a determination. Then that probably goes through a process of review and the final report, disbursement orders (if needed), etc. are prepared.

It's been over a month and I'm wondering what a reasonable waiting time might. To get to this point with the appeal has taken months and had to have a review C & P exam (which I had and have seen the report) and so all requested exams have been done, the lawyers brief are in his hands, so all that wating time has gone by. But once he gets the case, what can be expected?

Any ideas? This is the Oakland VRO (I know times vary from RO to RO quite a bit).

Any info would be helpful. I know everyone says just forget about it, when it comes it comes. But that's easier said than done.

Thanks, John

• HadIt.com Elder

On Hadit some of the Members are reporting that the speed on handling claims is getting faster. Since you have a Lawyer I suspect that the DRO is better qualified at their job and I as an optimist feel that it could be sooner than it has been for the last few years.

Good Luck

Thanks to all for replies.

I think I will go looking for some resource where the VA publishes estimates of processing time. They can easily calculate an average for each step of the way, publish it and that would give people a sense of how they are performing.

This administration has been better than others at sharing information...we'll see. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Well my experience is they take about a year to do the initial decision wrong. Then another year to do the DRO review wrong. Then six months later you get the DRO hearing you were supposed to have before the DRO made their decision, because you timely filed your form 9. They tell you at this hearing that those issues arn't appealable and they have to be worked as a new claim. The one item that can be appealed will have to wait because it can't be worked until the new claim is decided. Seven months later, they tell you the new claim is delayed because of your appeal (yes the one they said they can't work on until the new claim is decided). Two months after that they tell you the DRO is working on the appeal. They list out all the items you were told were part of a new claim (not appealable ) as things before the DRO on appeal. Meanwile, the favorable opinons in their C&P exams are closing in on being two years old(that they ignored in the first place) will be to old to make a proper decision on. I am sure I will soon be told to report for a new C&P exam, even though today i was told my claim is "in the final stages" by IRIS.

In restrospect, maybe a lawyer would have been a bargin for 20%, but I am confident I will prevail (eventually).

When dealing with VA the only time you need to worry about is VA deadlines. You shouldn't even be asking yourself about DRO wait times. If at the beginning of the process you want to assign a time frame that this will be done, do yourself a favor and don't.

Monitor the situation but remember it is an eventuality. Your appeal, claim or burial will eventually be approved and the Yellowstone supervolcano will eventually erupt again. Trying to figure out which will be first will drive you nuts.

Best regards,

Tyler

jsdwd,

The more important question is - did you request a DRO De Novo Review

or a DRO Hearing ?

It does for sure take longer to get a DRO Hearing than a De Novo Review.