VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Waiting Time

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

As of June 4th, my attorney spoke with a person who claimed to be the DRO assigned to my case. They went over the file contents to be sure he had all the relevant material and the lawyers brief and addendum. He did.

So from that point on we wait for him to go through his backlog, get to the file and make a determination. Then that probably goes through a process of review and the final report, disbursement orders (if needed), etc. are prepared.

It's been over a month and I'm wondering what a reasonable waiting time might. To get to this point with the appeal has taken months and had to have a review C & P exam (which I had and have seen the report) and so all requested exams have been done, the lawyers brief are in his hands, so all that wating time has gone by. But once he gets the case, what can be expected?

Any ideas? This is the Oakland VRO (I know times vary from RO to RO quite a bit).

Any info would be helpful. I know everyone says just forget about it, when it comes it comes. But that's easier said than done.

Thanks, John

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

The DRO and VARO tend to have no guts when a claim involves large retro payments. Even if they agree with your claim they may not want to take responsibility for a huge award, and will deny it and let you appeal to the BVA. Now you can add another two years. If it is really big retro the BVA may deny it and you end up at CAVA. This is how they kill you by playing "four corners" defense. I don't know where the buck stops at the VA. We just have to out last them.

I too am waiting for a DRO answer. My first appeal was in 08 then I added more to it in 09. I got a hearing in March 2010. My Dro stated that once he mailed my transcript to me, that would mean he was working on my case. Within 3 weeks I had my transcripts and I had 2 comp exams one in April another in May then they had to order another test I had that done June 18. All the C&P examiners opined that my conditions were serviced related and I am unemployable.

With that I am in holding pattern until I get my results, unfortunately I forgot to ask the DRO how long it would take after the C&P exams before I would get my results. If I get everything my retro can go back to 05 which would be a large retro check. I am OK with going back to 07-long story but I am not fighting for anything if I get my 100% P&T. I need and want peace while the additional 2 yrs is a large sum its not worth the fight, just hoping they don't make me fight any more.

In the past on all my claims once the VARO had my C&P I had my result within a month. I am hoping this happens with this appeal which would mean I should have an answer next week. I am having doubts that is going to happen.

Best of Luck to all waiting for results.

• HadIt.com Elder

I too am waiting for a DRO answer. My first appeal was in 08 then I added more to it in 09. I got a hearing in March 2010. My Dro stated that once he mailed my transcript to me, that would mean he was working on my case. Within 3 weeks I had my transcripts and I had 2 comp exams one in April another in May then they had to order another test I had that done June 18. All the C&P examiners opined that my conditions were serviced related and I am unemployable.

With that I am in holding pattern until I get my results, unfortunately I forgot to ask the DRO how long it would take after the C&P exams before I would get my results. If I get everything my retro can go back to 05 which would be a large retro check. I am OK with going back to 07-long story but I am not fighting for anything if I get my 100% P&T. I need and want peace while the additional 2 yrs is a large sum its not worth the fight, just hoping they don't make me fight any more.

In the past on all my claims once the VARO had my C&P I had my result within a month. I am hoping this happens with this appeal which would mean I should have an answer next week. I am having doubts that is going to happen.

Best of Luck to all waiting for results.

My most positive thoughts are with you, 'ruby'.

I hope you take comfort in knowing you are not alone.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. While I do have comfort I am not alone, in this case I would be OK being odd women out.

I heard from the 1-800 number my case has been partially granted and they mailed the SOC on the 12th so I should hear today or tomorrow.

Wish me luck that it is good--I have a question about second signatures--if the retro is greater then 25,000 they require a second signature, will they send out the SOC before they get the second signature. I am suspecting since it has only been 3 weeks since my last exam they are going to mess with my retro money.

I heard from the 1-800 number my case has been partially granted and they mailed the SOC on the 12th so I should hear today or tomorrow.

Wish me luck that it is good--I have a question about second signatures--if the retro is greater then 25,000 they require a second signature, will they send out the SOC before they get the second signature. I am suspecting since it has only been 3 weeks since my last exam they are going to mess with my retro money.

Ask the call center if they will fax you the info they read on their computer...I have received faxes 3 times, once for another vet(as the vet requested it as I sat by the vet, and the other2 for myself.

One was granted on my latest and one was deferred.

Correct on signatures. When the claim is completed they will send(soc) it to you..they have to sign off prior to sending you the SOC..funny I have gotten $$ in bank and received paper trail later...the VARO said my $$ had not yet been entered into the accounting dept in Oklahoma, and the bank told me the day before this call I had a nice deposit in my bank account!