VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Waiting Time

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

As of June 4th, my attorney spoke with a person who claimed to be the DRO assigned to my case. They went over the file contents to be sure he had all the relevant material and the lawyers brief and addendum. He did.

So from that point on we wait for him to go through his backlog, get to the file and make a determination. Then that probably goes through a process of review and the final report, disbursement orders (if needed), etc. are prepared.

It's been over a month and I'm wondering what a reasonable waiting time might. To get to this point with the appeal has taken months and had to have a review C & P exam (which I had and have seen the report) and so all requested exams have been done, the lawyers brief are in his hands, so all that wating time has gone by. But once he gets the case, what can be expected?

Any ideas? This is the Oakland VRO (I know times vary from RO to RO quite a bit).

Any info would be helpful. I know everyone says just forget about it, when it comes it comes. But that's easier said than done.

Thanks, John

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

... Where have you been hiding Commander?

Hi John,

Out and about. Since I got the last clean medical test reports, I have been traveling a lot. From South Fla., California, and points in between. Right now I'm back home, just waiting for my passport renewal.

Beating cancer has a way of resetting the clock. I am thinking about getting a laptop so I can stay in touch. I think of you and all my other friends here at Hadit often, and wish you all well with your lives, your health and your VA claims.

Other than that, I'm waiting for a resolution to my VA claim. I think I'll wait till February. that will be my two year anniversary of waiting for my DRO review, then I will turn the whole mess over to an attorney. Way too much torment when thinking about my VA experience.

post-4811-068524700 1287523929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob

A couple of yrs ago when the VA wrote "I was deceased" and ...I requested a personal hearing with the DRO and specifically said I wanted a DeNovo review! It took 7 mths to get that...7+ mths to get my transcript and a few to get my increase which was all retro too.

The VA will like to jack with all vets...Pitiful but the reality is they do it!

I have two NOD's which then a DRO hearing request was placed in about October 2009. My VSO said my DRO should be by tthe end of this year 2010.

My question are:

Do they acutally do a DRO review, then a hearing? or do they just hold a hearing?

I keep reading all kinds of different stories.

Is it possible they may do a review without notifying me and use the evidence they currently have, and if I meet the conditions they can approve me without a hearing?

Or will they hold the hearing regardless?

I have around 6 issues in my DRO hearing request. They all went through the claim, then NOD, the DRO hearing request process. Then all of the NOD denails were all combined into one DRO hearing request.

I am in San Diego

sorry if I already askied this in other threads/forums. it is just that the answers never fully staisfied my dense brain.

Thanx,

Edited by retiredat44

Retiredat44, I specifically requested a De Novo and personal hearing with the DRO. This I was advised to do by the VARO supervisor I knew...he said although a De Novo is suppose to be done with this type of claim request it doesn't always happen, so he told me to specifically request it. Also as soon as I was notified of the date I called the RO and requested 2 hrs instead of the 1 they had scheduled, as I had 2 claims I was presenting...So you might want to evaluate how much time you may need to present your case.

You meet, they read you a spleel, them swear you in while recording it and you present your evidence...I told her ahead of time I may need to stop talking a few moments, and she would turn off the tape for me to gain composure, then turn tape back on...Make sure you are organized and hand in copies you have researched that will help you claim too. Also remember to sign the paper you want a copy of the transcript too.

Make sure you arrive a little early to speak with your VSO prior too.

It is basically a non-threatening situation. Just present your claim information that can help your case. Look the DRO in the eyes when speaking too. Good luck with this.

Thank you, and you sound like me, same situation,, I get sick and have to break for periods of illness while I speak..

The only thing I don't understand is if they actually review my case before this hearing.. and if they can actually approve any part of it reviewing it before the hearing.

I was unaware you can ask for extra time.. as I am sure they will use up my time to read bs before it starts...

This is actually my 2nd DRO, the one I had from 2 years ago went to some other position, so I had to start over again building a relationship..

That threw me, as I don't like changes.. I have only known this VSO for a few months..

I have around 6 issues in my claim,, so I am not sure how that will lengthen the time needed as al the issues are all linked together anyways.

I hope my VSO knows enough to guide me.. as they know from experience what must be done and said..I feel extremely confident I have enough evidence.. (maybe that sounds like I am crazy.. but I really feel good with my evidence..)

I have told my wife she is welcome to go...

I believe my VSO told me there wil be another representaive for me who will be with us who does the hearings.. so I feel I have good legal representation.

All my questions i have left are questions no one here can answer.. like how many people with conditions like mine, and how they beat the system and won.. and what they said..

I just wish I knew how long before this damned hearing.. as my VSO is pretty positive it is very soon, in the coming weeks..

Thank you,

Retiredat44, I specifically requested a De Novo and personal hearing with the DRO. This I was advised to do by the VARO supervisor I knew...he said although a De Novo is suppose to be done with this type of claim request it doesn't always happen, so he told me to specifically request it. Also as soon as I was notified of the date I called the RO and requested 2 hrs instead of the 1 they had scheduled, as I had 2 claims I was presenting...So you might want to evaluate how much time you may need to present your case.

You meet, they read you a spleel, them swear you in while recording it and you present your evidence...I told her ahead of time I may need to stop talking a few moments, and she would turn off the tape for me to gain composure, then turn tape back on...Make sure you are organized and hand in copies you have researched that will help you claim too. Also remember to sign the paper you want a copy of the transcript too.

Make sure you arrive a little early to speak with your VSO prior too.

It is basically a non-threatening situation. Just present your claim information that can help your case. Look the DRO in the eyes when speaking too. Good luck with this.

6 issues, wow, I had 2 and requested 2 hrs in stead of the 1 they scheduled. I requested this as soon as they notified me, as they set up appointments for a few each day...so maybe you better check and see if you can get a little more time, versus being rushed, trying to hit on each topic/claim and missing something. Relax, it will go easy. They are regular people, and it's better face to face in my honest opinion.