VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dysthimic Disorder

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Can someone tell me what the MDD is this means "Dysthymic Disorder/MDD"? I think the NP wrote this under Axis I. Also under Axis V was 50. During a C&P exam, does the examiner take into consideration what the NP wrote in your records?

Thanks

sbrewer

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Guest DON20906

They are both forms of depression and are diagnosed under DSM-IV-TR Axis I Mood Disorders. Dysthymia is a life-long, low-grade, non-cyclical depression that never goes away. The dysthymic never experiences happiness for the most part. Major Depressive Disorder is also referred to as clinical depression and can be very serious leading to suicidal and/or homicidal behavior. Both are related to deficits in the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine in the central nervous system. Axis V is the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale score in a DSM-IV-TR assessment. I just posted the GAF Scale on another thread. C&P examiners are required to review all the medical evidence in the c-file when writing a report. Whether they do or not is another question. If they don't it's the basis for an appeal and remand for a new exam.

A GAF score of 50:

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and

productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect;

circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks

more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands;

impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only

highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired

judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and

mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and

social relationships

Can someone tell me what the MDD is this means "Dysthymic Disorder/MDD"? I think the NP wrote this under Axis I. Also under Axis V was 50. During a C&P exam, does the examiner take into consideration what the NP wrote in your records?

Thanks

sbrewer

Edited by DON20906

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks

sbrewer

There are two categories of depressive disorders: Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Dysthymic Disorder (DD). MDD is characterized by depressed or irritable mood, diminished interest in activities, weight gain or loss, appetite and sleep pattern changes, fatigue or loss of energy, feelings of worthlessness, inappropriate or excessive guilt, difficulties concentrating, and/or recurrent thoughts of death or suicide. These symptoms last for most of the day for nearly everyday for at least 2 weeks. Dysthymic Disorder (DD) is a milder, more chronic form of depression with similar symptoms as MDD.

Sounds like your NP did not necessarily distinguish between the two: she may have gavin you both diagnosis. If you want your C&P Examiner to take note, please hand carry the record and hand that report to him/her. Your NP is more intimate with your case than the C&P Examiner, and what s/he reports is significant. ~Wings

Thanks everyone for the information.

My husband is scheduled for a C&P in a couple of weeks. He already recieves 10% for DD(for many yrs)and put in for an increase. His NP (which he saw last week) said she knew the examiner and told him to take in some printouts about his heart disease to her as well. Don't know what this would have to do with anything, but that's what she told him to do. I guess her insight into that was the heart disease makes the depression worse. She also said she would leave the DD and add MDD(which I guess she did) to his record.

Does the GAF mean anything? I read in a different topic where people with the same GAF had different ratings. Is the rating entirly up to the RO?

Thanks,

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

It is up to the Rating Officer regardless of the evidence. If the evidence is overwhelming even a bad decision by the RO will probably be overturned on appeal. It takes time and that is the crime.