Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

New Recruit

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a recently Medically retired vet of both the Marines and Army. I served 17yrs before being forced to out on medical. I have always been a fighter and fault this battle to the end. My career was cut short after being diagnosed with brain cancer (Stage 4). If it was left up to me i would had stayed in and did my 20yrs. I guess God has a plan in store for all of us. Im currently waiting on VA to send me my rating. I know all of my medical papers were in order, so i have no idea what could be taking 3+ months. Im being patient but you all know that you cant do anything until the rating comes back. I plan to use this forum to post my updates and get valuable help. This place offers a lot of information that could benefit a lot of veterans. I will send this link back to my Soldiers so they will be informed prior to getting out of the military. My name is Dennis. Nice to be here

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a recently Medically retired vet of both the Marines and Army. I served 17yrs before being forced to out on medical. I have always been a fighter and fault this battle to the end. My career was cut short after being diagnosed with brain cancer (Stage 4). If it was left up to me i would had stayed in and did my 20yrs. I guess God has a plan in store for all of us. Im currently waiting on VA to send me my rating. I know all of my medical papers were in order, so i have no idea what could be taking 3+ months. Im being patient but you all know that you cant do anything until the rating comes back. I plan to use this forum to post my updates and get valuable help. This place offers a lot of information that could benefit a lot of veterans. I will send this link back to my Soldiers so they will be informed prior to getting out of the military. My name is Dennis. Nice to be here

Welcome Dennis sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also see you listed your rating as 80%. So when you say you are waiting on a rating did you mean an increase? Did you serve in the Gulf overseas or Iraq? There are soldiers coming back from certain zones with cancers so you may want to research and compare. Well stay close and be prepared to learn alot to help your claim. God Bless.

Welcome Dennis sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also see you listed your rating as 80%. So when you say you are waiting on a rating did you mean an increase? Did you serve in the Gulf overseas or Iraq? There are soldiers coming back from certain zones with cancers so you may want to research and compare. Well stay close and be prepared to learn alot to help your claim. God Bless.

Hi Michelle, that was my rating from the Military. I guess i misunderstood the listing of rating, so i will have to change it to none at the time. As for the deployments. I have served in every conflict or War since 1991. That includes Gulf War, Somalia, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and OIF. I was told about my cancer, that it was a rare type found in the US. After being misdiagnosed for many months, i found out i had cancer and 2 out of 3 people dont survive it. You can imagine how i feel to be one of the survivors. I currently suffer from Major Depression. It is scary that for many years the government denied there was a Gulf War Syndrome and i saw a lot of my fellow Marines health decline and some even die. Its very painful to know that after a decade has past before they admit there was something wrong. I am thankful to still be alive and i see each day as a blessing.

Have you checked your cancer against those that have come back from the gulf? There are a couple of forums looking to compare soldiers being diagnosed with cancers after serving in those area. I heard of a Female chaplain who has found some major similarities with troops being diagnosed with cancer from the Gulf and I believe she was also diagnosed with cancer herself. I will check to see if I still have the article but you should really start searching the web and here too for matching and comparitive studies that could help you. You probally have alot of secondary claims you could file too, like your major depression. Has your cancer affected any of your other systems? Are you working? If not make sure you fill out the TDIU and just send it in anyways. You will be glad you did later on. Do it quickly, (Right Larry). Remember you need to make sure your registered at your local VA hospital. If you are within a year of discharge you get free dental in the mean time so make sure you take your medical board paper work to the local VA and register and get your dental set up etc. Good luck on your claim. Learned alot from this site and another good one is veteran yuku doing your research before filing = success. God bless. Have you applied for SSDI there are many cancers that are automatic once your doc fills out a particular form along with your application.

Welcome here Dennis-your positive attitude is so commendable.You sure are dealing with a lot.

Have you formally applied yet for TDIU as Michellee correctly advised (the 100% rate of comp) or is this a pending issue now with the VA?

Have you also applied for SSA Disability benefits? Gee -just checked the posts and Michelle asked that too- good work Michellee!!!!

During the transition briefings did they advise you of the potential CRDP and CRSC benefits?

I think the CRDP benefit might apply to you.

On the TDIU form (I will attach it) check Yes to # 18 and then apply for SSA disability. Under # 25 Remarks tell them any other information they should consider to award you TDIU.

VA compensation impacts on Military retirement benefits and this is why I mentioned the CRDP.

"guess i misunderstood the listing of rating, so i will have to change it to none at the time"

You mean none formally from the VA. ?

I would think the VA -with the 80% Military disability- would send you the TDIU form themselves but why wait for that.

By sending it in now this will preserve your earliest effective date for any retro benefits under TDIU.

Welcome here.

TDIU 21-8940.pdf

Michellee is right again- to make sure that you apply for the depression as secondary to the cancer.

This will take a medical statement from a doctor to link the cancer to the depression but she is right to claim that as well.

Under # 25 remarks tell them of any side affects of any meds yo take that render you unemployable too.