VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Survivor Benefit And Dic And Garnishment

teejay53

Question

hi all;

i am back with an important question. i have called a few attorneys to see if they give a no cost consultation and have not found one yet, so i am asking my little question here.

can a creditor garnish my social security survivor benefit check or my dic check? i do not know whether to cancel my auto deposit to my bank and have my checks mailed to me or not.

i asked the bank manager at my bank where my checks go about the garnishment issue and i could not get a straight answer from him either.

a social security rep told me that shortly no more checks will be mailed, only auto deposit will be offered. the reasoning is:

will save the government a great deal of money on postage and the cost of generating a paper check, plus the expense of re-issuing lost/stolen checks.

is anyone using the social security "direct express" debit card? i ask a customer rep if my money could be garnished if i used their card and could not get a straight answer. the bank it comes from is "comenca bank".

thank you for your help with this.

teejay

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Technically, they cannot garnish either SSA/SSDI or VA Comp but I'm not sure about DIC. That doesn't mean the funds couldn't get "frozen." I'd request both be returned to check status, just in case. The USA cannot stop payment by check, tho they might like to. The courts have ordered that they cannot require someone to have a bank account. A friend has a mastercard that their SSDI is deposited to, thru Walmart, I think.

pr

hi all;

i am back with an important question. i have called a few attorneys to see if they give a no cost consultation and have not found one yet, so i am asking my little question here.

can a creditor garnish my social security survivor benefit check or my dic check? i do not know whether to cancel my auto deposit to my bank and have my checks mailed to me or not.

i asked the bank manager at my bank where my checks go about the garnishment issue and i could not get a straight answer from him either.

a social security rep told me that shortly no more checks will be mailed, only auto deposit will be offered. the reasoning is:

will save the government a great deal of money on postage and the cost of generating a paper check, plus the expense of re-issuing lost/stolen checks.

is anyone using the social security "direct express" debit card? i ask a customer rep if my money could be garnished if i used their card and could not get a straight answer. the bank it comes from is "comenca bank".

thank you for your help with this.

teejay

• HadIt.com Elder

Veterans benefits cannot be "attached", and, I would assume that to be ANY veterans benefits, such as DIC, Chap 35 educational payments, etc. I don't, however, know about Social Security, etc.

The ONLY entity that CAN attach a veterans benefits IS the Federal Goobermint (say, like the IRS). And, they try really hard not to do so (G-d bless their little pea-pickin hearts, anyway!).

• HadIt.com Elder

Veterans benefits cannot be "attached", and, I would assume that to be ANY veterans benefits, such as DIC, Chap 35 educational payments, etc. I don't, however, know about Social Security, etc.

The ONLY entity that CAN attach a veterans benefits IS the Federal Goobermint (say, like the IRS). And, they try really hard not to do so (G-d bless their little pea-pickin hearts, anyway!).

[/quote

Same holds true with any form of SS.

They can garnish your bank account and tie up your money even if they are SS VA or pension. You have to show the bank that all money is from VA, SS or pension and inform them you do not want garnishment on your money. DO NOT mix your checks or direct deposits with other money because because they can garnish your account. Dont try to put your other money in a different bank account or different ban because they have ways of finding it. It is best to withdraw it and keep in your pocket. I have Direct Express debit card on my social security. I am pretty sure they cannot make attachments on it. By the way you can get your VA checks on Direct Express. Hope I havent gottenyou too confused.