VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Omb Has The Rule

Rate this question

Donna

Question

I am still learning about this process, but I saw the rule arrived at the OMB on July 8th. If they have 90 days to do their work and I also heard it is unlikely they will take the full 90 days. That puts it at Oct 8th, when the Secretary can sign the final rule into the registry. The Congressional review starts at the pont the rule becomes final, but the review does not prevent developing and paying claims. Only a Congressional resolution can do that. All this when we have an election on November 2. Wow. I still say call Senator Webb's office and overwhelm him with email and snail mail. We have to voice our disapproval of the hearing set for 9-23-10. This is nothing but posturing, grandstanding on the part of the Senator. 202-224-4024. Bringing the Secretary of the VA in front of a hearing to grill him on his decsion to add the presumtives is disgraceful and we should voice it. I have watched enough of these hearings to se it is just an opportunity for the Senators to make fools of themselves and so close to an election????? Why would they want to focus public attention to a move against Viet Nam Vets so close to an election? I'll bet we see alot of Sentors grandstand the opposite way and start praising the Vets and tell the Secretary they agree with his decsion and they all support the Vets and owe them a debt. your thoughts

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

i don't know. I am concerned that the issue will become the money. As everyone already knows, the US is fast approaching bankruptcy and I forsee the elected officials taking every pubic opportunity to oppose any form of increase in department spending. I don't think given current public support for the military that this would effect the application of benefits to current vet's of the Iraq or Afganistan wars, but I fear that given that the Vietnam vet's are a fairly small group at this point in the scheme of electorial politics any attempts at improving benefits for the group will be met with opposition. Certainly, the current mood of the elected officials is a "hands off" attitude towards the mindless "entitlement" programs, but cuts in all other federal programs will be on the table. I don't think that this hearing being conducted by Sen. Webb bodes well for this attempted increase in AO benefits and it will actually not surprise me if it ends up being withdrawn by the Secretary or is shot down in congress. This is certainly one where I would recommend that you don't "count your chickens" at this point.

• HadIt.com Elder

Our dear government is expert and deferring public opinion by making people wait and wait and finally nothing much happens. It is not real to me until its in the books.

Our dear government is expert and deferring public opinion by making people wait and wait and finally nothing much happens. It is not real to me until its in the books.

http://hlr.rubystudio.com/media/pdf/vol_122_the_mysteries.pdf

The link above may ease some of the concern over the Congressional Review Act as it may pertain to RIN: 2900-AN54  now at the OMB.