VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

See If We Can Help.

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I was introduced to a 66 year old in country Viet Nam Veteran today asking questions that I can not answer. He is on Social Security and has Medicaide and Medicare. He lives in what I believe is called Chapter 8 housing paying $160.00 a month for his rent. He has been to the Battle Creek VA with heart problems he had during the mid 80's.

Other people have advised him not to file a claim as the added income would effect his rent subsidy and also his Medicaide and Medicare. My question to you'all is that true? Thanks for your help. Terry Sturgis

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

I think it depends on how much he was awarded for his service-connected disability. If he got compensation it probably would affect his medicade and Section 8. It is pretty tricky because their are income limitations on medicade and Section 8. He is probably entitiled to food stamps as well. All this might be impacted by VA compensation since they include everything as income. He needs to call or visit the all these agencies and get the facts. Of course, he may get different answers every where he goes. If he got a VA pension that would affect his other entitlements as well. If he got 100% from the VA in SC compensation it would be worth it, but you never know unless you have a calculator and add up everything. 160 dollars for rent is really cheap and medicade pays for everything including glasses and teeth. If he got just say 30% it might blow him out of the water for the other bennies.

Guest DON20906

It's the other way around. If he goes on NSC pension, his VA payments will be reduced by the amount of the Social Security, but not the Medicare, Medicaid. I'm not sure about the Section 8. His VA payments shouldn't matter to SS; they don't offset VA. VA offsets SS. I don't believe food stamps count against NSC pension, either. He's over 65, has wartime service and has no appreciable income or assets, he will qualify. Once he has NSC pension, he will be eligible for 100% of his healthcare from VA. He'd have to do the math and figure out what's in his best interest. A local social worker working in income maintenace could help him. Part D of VAF 21-526 will also help.

I was introduced to a 66 year old in country Viet Nam Veteran today asking questions that I can not answer. He is on Social Security and has Medicaide and Medicare. He lives in what I believe is called Chapter 8 housing paying $160.00 a month for his rent. He has been to the Battle Creek VA with heart problems he had during the mid 80's.

Other people have advised him not to file a claim as the added income would effect his rent subsidy and also his Medicaide and Medicare. My question to you'all is that true? Thanks for your help. Terry Sturgis

Is his heart condition possibly due to diabetes? (diabetes Mellitus Type II)

If so he should tell the VA he has DMII and the heart disease is secondary to it. He is considered as having been exposed to Agent Orange as an in-country Vietnam vet.

• HadIt.com Elder

This comes up from time to time.

Social offers two types of benefits. SSDI is based on qualifying by paying into the system while working. SSI is for folks who do not qualify for SSDI yet are unable to work due to disability.

If he recieves Suplimential Security income (SSI) from Social Security. The social security administration will cut him off when he starts getting his NSC from the VA. If he gets disabled workers benefits (SSDI) from social security he can recieve both his VA compensation and SSDI. Do not confused compensation with a non service connected pension. VA compensation is for service connected disabilities only.

If he gets Suplimental Security income (SSI) and a partial service connected disability, Social Security will subtract any VA money from his Suplimental Security income.but not his disabled workers benefits (SSDI)

You need to check with social security to find out what he gets. There are folks who know they get some money from social security. However, they do not know the exacy benefit.

Guest terrysturgis

Thanks everyone, I will pass your information along to him and he can decide his next move. Berta, he says he does not have Diabetes. He did receive VA hospital care for his heart in the mid 80's and did not have a whole lot of good things to say about that care. I told him maybe things have changed as I get good VA health care. Once again THANKS! Terry Sturgis

actually you can get SSDI and SSI At THE SAME TIME, IF YOUR SSDI income isn't very high, as SSI is base on need, household income and assets. One of my cousins received it before he died, and my wife's sister gets both now.