VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Theft

Rate this question

mssoup1

Question

According to CBS news tonight in an interview with cardcops.com, there has been a 158% increase in SS indentity theft since the first of May. The FBI has been notified about this and they are supposedly going to look into this, even though it appears the FBI doesn't think that the two are connected at this time.

Didn't want to pass on this type of information, but it looks as though we are going to have to look after ourselves more and rely less on the government to inform us.

mssoup1

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mssoup1

You are exactly right from FEMA, to the VA to, protection against crime it is going to be up to us. What the hell is this government doing anyway? The poor people in New Orleans got their houses washed away because of Army Corps of Engineers shoddy work on the levy systems. They get nothing but handout from FEMA. We are on our own. Heaven help those Americans traveling abroad if they get in trouble.

The news reports are stating (maybe the Sec did too at that hearing) that this employee was taking work home from VA for three years!

One report said this all came to light due to office gossip at the VA about the theft.Then it filtered out to higher level GS employees-part of reason for delay in the public knowing about it.

I feel that if VAR0s do not address and ignore your evidence, tell them in your NOD that it is more than likely a VA employee has taken your evidence to their home-

and perhaps it was stolen. Attach any news report of this data incident as evidence to support that this could happen.

If my IM0s do not get properly addressed by the VARO- and are completely ignored again as in two past SOCs I will use that in my NOD and I am going to tell them I think the FBI should be called if the IMOs are missing from my c file.

I do not believe this is an isolated situation of an employee taking veterans info home with them.

I have worked hard all my life but if I was doing unpaid work at home for three years,while working full time too- I think I would have expected some sort of 'pay off' for the extra work time I had put in.

There is more to this then we are being told. If someone has a SSA number for a vet-I am sure they can find out the c file number-I think this is how undertakers determine what forms to give a widow/widower to fill out regarding burial benefits when a vet dies and also to see if they are eligible for a VA headstone.

I also saw in the news on this that deceased vets who had claims after 1977 -their widows are probably affected too-

No one has mentioned yet but the SSA numbers of some children of vets are probably in the stolen data too.

With the millions that the Sec said the mailings would cost- why not take those millions and start re-vamping the VAROs?

I think we should all complain to our congressmaen/women, and senators or to the House Committee on Vets Affairs-

Many of us have dealt with 'missing' data from our c files for years-

Evidence that can mysteriously turn up years later-in our c files.

Is VA deliberately being capricious and abusive by ignoring it- or was it taken home and hidden by a VA employee?

I think vets might have a new form of ammo to use now when the VA denies claims without using our evidence.