VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Get Ssi And Ssdi At The Same Time.

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

When my app went in they put me in for both ssi and ssdi. I have been medically approved. They said ssdi is automatic but ssi is processed here locally and once my working comes off of leave she will get to it. In the mean time I want to know how does being qualified for both work. Will I get both at the same time or no. I am eligable for ssdi from march of this month so can you tell me how all of this will work if you know and understand.

Thnx.

I have no other income at this time other than child support and they said it does count against me since its for my child.

thnx

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

" .......I really am.......I know one thing, I'd have been better off having been born neutered!"

Larry, Larry, LarryJ... LOL. There is a procedure for that, however you will have to move to China.

SSDI has a waiting period. For example, I was approved for mine in November of one year, but was not eligible for an actual benefit check until May. That information should be in any award letter you received. For SSI, there is not, so if one qualifies for SSI (income and resources based program), one can get the back pay for that, while waiting to be eligible for the actual benefit check for SSDI. Also, people can receive both benefits at the same time, depending on the amounts of their SSDI. For example, someone I know receives around $350.00 for SSDI because of not that long a work history, and other computation methods used, so she also receives SSI, which brings her total benefit amount to at least what SSI benefit is. I'm not sure what that amount is today, but it can be found at their website, to give a better idea of amounts, if SSDI is not at least as much as SSI, to allow one to better estimate for oneself what one may be looking at. I hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get SSI you can also get medicade, food stamps and subsidized housing (section 8). One bad thing about medicade is that many doctors won't accept it. You substandard doctors at the VA and have to deal with substandard medicade doctors on the outside. You know my private shrink told me he used to treat old people at nursing homes on medicade. His accountant notified him that he was actually losing money treating medicade patients. Medicare must be pretty good because 99% of doctors take it. The doctors complain about it but they take it.