VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reward

Rate this question

Guest DON20906

Question

Guest DON20906

5/25/2006

$50,000 Reward Offered for Return Of Electronic Data Containing Veterans’ Information

Today, the Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Inspector General (VA OIG) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have announced a $50,000 reward through the Montgomery County Crime Solvers organization, for information that leads to the recovery of a laptop computer and external hard drive that contained personal information for millions of veterans.

Montgomery County Police are working with the FBI and the VA OIG in the investigation of a residential burglary that occurred on May 3, 2006, in the Aspen Hill community of Montgomery County. Taken during that burglary was a laptop computer and external hard drive which contained identifying information for approximately 26.5 million veterans.

At this stage of the investigation there is no evidence that the suspect or suspects responsible for the theft had any knowledge of what information was stored on the hard drive.

The primary objective of the investigation is the recovery of the laptop and external hard drive. Anyone who can provide information that leads to the recovery of the laptop and external hard drive that contains the veterans’ data should call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). A cash reward of $50,000 will be paid for information provided to the Crime Solvers tip line that leads to the recovery of these items.

LHB/EMB

# # #

» Return to Press Releases

Last edited: 5/15/2006

AWARDS | Privacy Policy | User Rights | Accessibility | Disclaimer| RSS

Copyright 2002-2006 Montgomery County Government All Rights Reserved

Best viewed with IE 5.0 or Netscape 6.0 and higher

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

[size=2]It don't matter how high the security clearance is, there’s a law that says "nothing leaves the building that did not come in". ID theft is one thing, but the worse of it is, a criminal looking for a new name, and SS #...

If this yea hoo goes out and commits a crime, it is up to you to prove that it wasn't you, when you get arrested for it.

Also we have how many illegal’s in this country, looking for a false SS#? We can thank Bush for that, and what a perfect time that this should happened, (Just a Thought). No matter how one tries to shift to the liter side of this outright criminal act, there will always be the one factor, of WHY DID THEY WAIT TO REPORT THIS MATTER TO THE FBI? I can tell you that the average cost of a false SS# on the street is about $300.00

To a Mexican, this is what he will pay for it and a false ID.

By: MARK WALKER - Staff Writer

A Nebraska congressman outraged at disgraced former 50th Congressional District Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham introduced legislation Wednesday that would bar federal employees convicted of major crimes from receiving government pensions.

But the bill, sponsored by Republican Rep. Lee Terry, would not affect the estimated $40,000 congressional pension that the House Office of Personnel estimates Cunningham is entitled to receive, despite having pleaded guilty on Nov. 28 to bribery and tax evasion.

Cunningham is still entitled to his pension because constitutional law prohibits retroactive application of such a law. The only reasons government employees can now be stripped of federal pensions are for convictions of espionage or treason.

What a racket being in congress ,they make out like fat rats in and out of office, and they have the gall to try and mess with the average joe who elected them, how ironic.

I don't think for a minute that our personal info was ever secure in the first place.

This is just another smoke screen.

Something else to take our attention away from the other ongoing VA fraud.

sledge

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

If I had the disks. I would burry them in the woods and tell the news media I had them and the VA would not get them back until I could present my VA claim on national TV and let the people decide if I should get back pay for 16 years of VA incompetence.

Terry Higgins

Terry,

Whats stopping you? Hell, call the media and admit you have the documents. Get your claim settled and when they ask you for the data tell em you lied and you learned how to lie from the VA.

Kirk