VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are My Chances?

Rate this question

Older Female Veteran

Question

I am new to this board and this is my story:

In 1986 I was medically discharged and received a 40% rating for left elbow fracture and a 0% rating for Ulnar Nerve Paralysis left arm. I was lucky I received my rating 30 days after my discharge. I had three surgeries on my left elbow prior to my discharge each one was to try and correct the mistake of the prior surgery. I finally said leave it alone and they discharged me.

Then in 2002 I received an increase in my rating to 50% PO excision left radial head and 10% Tardy left ulnar nerve palsy. I had an elbow fusion in 1994 because of the problems that developed in the elbow and I was given temporary total disability for 90 days after the surgery but was not given an increase in the rating because I did not request an increase. In 1999 the hardware was removed because it was causing pain. Then in 2001 I actually formally filed paperwork for an increase in my disability. I was denied back pay to 1994 but at least they increased it. I did not file an appeal I only requested a review in which they granted an 10% for left elbow arthritis.

In September 2009 I injured my left elbow and was diagnosed with CRPS (RSD) in my left arm. I had to quit working in December 2009 because of the CRPS. In February 2010 I filed a Statement in support of claim (certified mail return receipt). In March 2010 I received a letter from the VA and filed another Statement in support of claim and also the Application for Increased Compensation based on Unemployablilty also sent certified mail return receipt. After I filed the two I asked for a VSO in March of 2010 because I had heard they actually help the veteran (the raters tend to find in favor of veterans who are represented by VSO’s than those without representation). In May 2010 I had a C&P exam in which the physician stated that “ veteran is unable to do physical and sedentary type jobs….”. I have not received any documentation other than the standard form letters saying they are working on my requests.

I would really appreciate any input on the possibility of the VA actually approving my request for 100% unemployability and the time frame for approval/denial. If more information if needed please let me know.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Has your medical problems caused you any problems with depression or anxiety?

Welcome to Hadit

If you can't work due to a service connected injury you can get 100%

Have you applied for SSD?

"In September 2009 I injured my left elbow and was diagnosed with CRPS (RSD) in my left arm."

Since this was a post service injury the only way they could grant service connection for it would be if they found by medical evidence that the original SC condition is aggravating the NSC injury.

How did the C & P doc opine as to how the SC condition could have aggravated this post service injury or caused the CRPS or contributed to it?

Thank you for your responses - here is an update on the information:

The C&P report has the CRPS service connected because of the Tardy left ulnar nerve palsy.

I have not been diagnosed with depression or anxiety.

I can not apply for Social Security because I would for state government for over 10 years in which I did not pay social security. The disability with the state is another issue all together.

If the C&p examine stated that you was unable to do physical of sendentary work,thats a good sign.Could you paste your C&P report on this site.

mobie

Older Female Veteran

Right now I do not have a way to do that. Sorry

Can you type in the medical opinion and the medical rationale? If no medical opinion was given, can you type in what was stated in your exam and how it was determined that you are unemployable and unabled to work? This will help us understand and to try to help you.