VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Too Late For Nam Vet To File Ptsd?

Rate this question

coldwater54

Question

Can it be too late for a Vietnam Vet to file for PTSD benefits?

It used to be that claimants had to meet requirements for an "event", now with changes in requirements, some claims officers are saying Vets can only file a PTSD claim if the vet has had previous treatment.

Can this mean if an older vet has not had treatment, he won't get treatment?

Given the nature of PTSD, isn't it defeating to require vets to have previous treatment?

This would be a thorough kicker to any Vietnam vets who have reached a point in their lives to try and finally try to get help.

It took my husband the better part of 40 years before he could really face his demons. I would hate to think where we would be now if this new rule were in effect. Most likely he would have continued to be one that dropped thru the cracks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Can it be too late for a Vietnam Vet to file for PTSD benefits?

It used to be that claimants had to meet requirements for an "event", now with changes in requirements, some claims officers are saying Vets can only file a PTSD claim if the vet has had previous treatment.

Can this mean if an older vet has not had treatment, he won't get treatment?

Given the nature of PTSD, isn't it defeating to require vets to have previous treatment?

This would be a thorough kicker to any Vietnam vets who have reached a point in their lives to try and finally try to get help.

It took my husband the better part of 40 years before he could really face his demons. I would hate to think where we would be now if this new rule were in effect. Most likely he would have continued to be one that dropped thru the cracks.

Its NEVER to late. Don't wait any longer, do it right away. again, IT IS NEVER TO LATE. I do see you all ready have a rating of 100% You will NOT receive any more money but it never hurts to have the PTSD rating. Just be careful if they rate you for PTSD that they don't take away something else. Are you IU? Or are you 100% scheduler?

Edited by Chu Lai69

• HadIt.com Elder

IF he has PTSD and he is 100 percent he should file for it.

Even though at 100 percent, he may qualify for a SMC. SMC S total plus 60 percent.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

File yesterday, it's never to late. As long as you are alive you can file. I think the new PTSD procedures would help any vet that served in a war zone & improve chances of getting PTSD S/C. I have SMC "S" award which is $300+ more than just 100%.

One key facet of the new PTSD regs is that -even if the veteran had decades of private treatment records and a private psyche diagnosis of PTSD- the vet now needs a definitive diagnosis from a VA shrink -of PTSD.

I fear that some veterans =even with diagnosis from a private psychiatrist might have problems getting a VA diagnosis of PTSD.

"some claims officers are saying Vets can only file a PTSD claim if the vet has had previous treatment."

That is absurd.PTSD can raise it's ugly head many decades after the fact.A very good friend of mine whose PTSD I recongnized many many years ago but which he did not want to recognise himself-finally realized he needed help and was diagnosed,compensated and now3 is being treated for it.Conversely- many Iraq and Afganistan vets returning home to find they have the symptoms of PTSD have not had time (since they were in service and combat zones) to get "previous treatment."

Still- I feel many vets who file new claims for PTSD will not only need the VA diagnosis but should also pursue finding some proof for their stressor unless their MOS fully puts them into the criteria that is stated in the regulation.