VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Ready For My Unemployability Interview

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have posted on here before when I was filing for an increase for my PTSD. Your comments and suggestions have helped me tremendously, and I have always gotten great advice, so I'm reaching out once more for hopefully my final battle for a while, Unemployability.

I am currently rated at 70% for PTSD w/ Major Depression, 10% Neck, 10% Back Pain, and 10% Tinnitus. This brings me to a total of 80% according to the VA. While posting about my increase once I recieved it, I was told by some members to hurry up and get a Social Security claim in, so I hurried up and went through all of the online stuff and now that's in the works. I was also told to make sure I file for TDIU since I was having some major problems at work. I sent in a statement about work from the envelope with the sworn statements and such inside, and sent it in. Now I am just waiting for my interview. I hate going to C&P interviews. (I haven't met anyone who really likes them) The doctors always seem to be distant and somewhat rude to me. My anxiety and depression drives me somewhat crazy during the waiting for decisions and pretty much the whole VA process of this stuff, so I am really looking for some support here I guess.

I worked up until June 25th this year, but nothing full time since my deployment when I returned in July of 2007. I've had too many problems taking orders, and people not understanding that I get jumpy around things such as boxes getting dropped, people coming up behind me, and because I worked in sporting goods, ignorant people who are looking at guns "flagging" me. I just about flipped out on one customer for doing this, I had to walk away and I was shook up for over 24 hours about this. I just plain don't get along with many people. My sleep problems are a big thing in this also, I get so wound up at work that I won't sleep for crap the night before work, even the Ambien dosen't do much. This is what brings me to thinking that TDIU might be the answer. I can't support my family without working or compensation. Sure, the 80% definitely helps, but bills still pile up, and it's not like I'm running around buying a ton of stuff. If I work, my head's a mess and I argue and fight with my wife. If I don't work it seems we're gonna go broke.

First off, I wanted to know, will this interview be like my past ones? Are they going to make me go through all of the stuff from before? Meaning same questions, comments, and all that good stuff? What should I make sure the doc understands about my case? Are there any major points that I need to make sure I get across to them?

Secondly, what do you, the fellow readers and veterans on here think my chances are? Do my percentages seem as if I am deserving of TDIU? I know it's a silly question, but I just want to know what others think? I can't help but feel odd getting disability, I'm not even 30 years old and in my mind it makes me feel weird. My counselor tells me not to be the least bit ashamed of getting benefits, that I have earned them, and to hold my head high. Maybe it's the depression that makes me feel this way, but I just hate feeling like this. I'm sorry to rant and get off track here, please give any tips or advice as you can, and thank you all for your support and advice. Most of all, thank you ones who have served and make our country great.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you take the exam sign an affidavit that you want the VA to rate your claim with the C&P and information that they have on hand. The turds at your ex company will never respond and you could wait a long time. You have the right to instruct the VARO to go ahead and rate.

Sorry to keep pestering you, as I have stated in the past, I'm still a bit new to all of the terminology. It sounded like an interview or something when they said exam. I asked if it would be like a C&P and the lady told me it probably was. Who is the VARO? Is that my VSO? I sent the VSO an e-mail with my statement asking them to rate my claim without my former employer's response. Should I be calling the VA on this, should I write something up, or should I just report to the appointment they will be scheduling me for? Once again I'm really sorry to sound so dumb, I'm just inexperienced. Thank you again for all of your replies and advice!

When you take the exam sign an affidavit that you want the VA to rate your claim with the C&P and information that they have on hand. The turds at your ex company will never respond and you could wait a long time. You have the right to instruct the VARO to go ahead and rate.

Sapper- you're not dumb; we just use a lot of acronyms.

VA Regional Office (VARO) is the actual VA.

Veterans Service Officer (VSO) is VFW, DAV, American Legion or whoever is helping you with your claim.

So, if you're not dealing with the VARO directly, telling your VSO to go ahead is the right thing.

It's ridiculous they can hold up claims "waiting" on former employers who can be like vindictive exes, not wanting to help.

No way it should be vet's responsibility to get them to reply- it should be an offense for ex-employer NOT to reply in a timely fashion.

• Founder

It seems you are getting good advice. The waiting, the exams, the reliving the damn trauma over and over can really set you on edge. Please try and get into your local veterans center and get set up with a counselor there. You are going to need some help and emotional support, and I'm guessing some assistance with your anger. Because they will make you angry, that's just the facts. So make sure you are taking care of yourself.

Thanks Tbird, Yes I am currently seeing a counselor. He's actually the one who got me to push for more benefits, which I thought was very helpful. You're correct about all the waiting and reliving all of the crap I've gone through in the past, and now having to go through it all again. I'm just so sick of doing C&P exams, as I just went through one just a few months ago. Sometimes I really gotta wonder what they're thinking. Thank you though for your support, and I'll keep everyone updated!

It seems you are getting good advice. The waiting, the exams, the reliving the damn trauma over and over can really set you on edge. Please try and get into your local veterans center and get set up with a counselor there. You are going to need some help and emotional support, and I'm guessing some assistance with your anger. Because they will make you angry, that's just the facts. So make sure you are taking care of yourself.

Hi Everyone,

Well Tuesday the 14th was the big day. Yes, I had to go back out to the VA for another exam, one for my PTSD and one for my neck and back. Both were for Unemployability. I'm not sure how well they went. I took some good advice, dressed as I do at home, answered all questions truthfully, and didn't sugar coat anything. I'm starting to think that the PTSD examiners try to make you angry just to see how you react. She came out to get me from the waiting room a half hour late, then almost giggled, saying she got, "Caught up reading an article online" I'll bite my tongue on what I wanted to call her, but you can probably fill in the blanks there. At the end, she asked me why I was unemployable. I replied, telling her, I don't get along with anyone, I don't take orders and direction well at all, I can't multi-task, I can't drive, etc. Hopefully she got the point. She told me I was finished and I may leave, not thanking me for any service, or even shaking a hand or opening a door for me. (That's a first)

As for the back and neck exam, the doctor was very polite. She told me that I had a problem with my back that wasn't documented in anything in my file. She informed me that my curve that should be in my lower spine was no longer there, at least to her feeling my back. This makes sense, since my lower back kills me alot of the time. When she asked why I was unemployable, I told her, due to not being able to stand for a longer period of time, or sit also, and the driving thing. The one thing I did forget to tell her about was my migranes, but I believe I told the PTSD lady about that, so hopefully the rating board catches it. I let her know I was admitted to the ER for a panic attack and migrane just before I quit my job in June.

As always, I look forward to reading your replies. I have a few posts on here if you need to catch up on any part of this wonderful journey (sarcasm) with the VA. I think pretty much everything is covered. It dosen't sound like they have my appointment summaries at the VA yet, but as soon as I find out that they do have them in their system I'll give another update on what they typed in their little computers while I griped at them.

On a last note, thank you again to everyone who has given advice, support, and well wishes. The VA ladder is a pain in the butt to climb alone, and even with my wife, it's still very assuring and nice to have fellow veterans with similar experiences to turn to for advice and support. I probably would have cracked and given up by now, but with everyone's help, I have kept going forward with this process. I just think you should all know that when you type something in the replies box, it makes a connection, and gives me and probably many others the encouragement to drive on. Thank you all again and take care!