VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Using Lodging On Military Base

Rate this question

babyray

Question

I am 100% & P&T, Can I stay at one of the lodging at one the military bases? If so how can I?

Thx

babyray

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ray,

I recently called the base hotel at Great Falls, Montana (Malmstrom?) and she said if you can get on base you can stay there.

If you haven't gotten a military i.d. yet you'll need that.

To get that your VRO can type a letter (if you don't already have one) stating your 100% disability. You bring that to base i.d. office.

Enjoy your benefits!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just call the 1-800 number or use the VA.com "IRIS" system and request a letter "to allow you to get an MWR card that allows me to access on-base priveleges". It's called an MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) card. Then take the letter from your VARO to the nearest military base and go to the visitor's gate and they will direct you as to where to go to get you card. While you are there, you might as well get your vehicle access sticker(s). Make sure and take your automobile liability insurance information along with the make, model, VIN# of your vehicle(s). They'll give you your windshield stickers at that time.

Someone on hadit said something about some folks want the stickers and some don't (because they don't want anyone else knowing that they are receiving "priveleges" from the military, or something like that). That's fine, to each his own, but, the base that I go to to go shopping, etc, (USN Joint Reserve Facility, Ft. Worth, TX) it's a long hike from the Main Gate to the PX/BX and you WILL NOT get on base without the stickers............

just sayin'................................. :smile:

With your ID card you can use everything except medical. A lot of people forget that they also can use MWR.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, and you can get a publication, at the PX, that will list all the bases, throughout the world, where you are eligible, as a 100% disabled veteran, to stay. (some bases will not allow DV's, according to standing orders or the facility's ability to accomodate the veteran (space available,etc.). But, MOST (I'd say 90%) do welcome the veterans. And, most have very nice accomodations. I really like the Navy Lodges........just like a really first class motel like a Holiday Inn, and they run, like $35 a night or a little more and that is the total price, no taxes, etc. (federal property, doncha know).

There is one facility that I'd like to try out, and that's the lodging on the Big Island, in Hawaii. A DARN-SITE cheaper than the local hotels!