VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployablility Or 100% Rating

Rate this topic

I just returned from my VA rep to apply for re-evaluation my my back, hearing, and a new evaluation on PTSD. While talking to him he said I could apply for non-employability instead of trying for 100%, I am currently 80% service connected, and cannot work any longer. I am confused about this as I was working for the post office and was disability retired because of my service connected back injury. That being the case I am non-employable and have a neurosurgeon, family doctor, and physical therapist who state no twisting, turning, or bending.

Has anyone else went through this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

100 percent without unemployability is better than TDIU. TDIU folks have to fill out forms every year. You can also work at 100 percent unless it is for a mental condition.

Iu is available to Veterans who have service conencted disabilities but are not abloe to be rated 100 percent. You have to show proof of not working.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion is 100% P&T with family benefits is the best and not P&T at least you get paid at 100% rate.

I disagree respectfully here-

I say get a SC rating for everything that is SC ( in case you die with a SC contributing to death)but apply for TDIU.

You said you cannot work anymore so I assume the past ratings would not consider TDIU because you were working when they made those awards.

You should also be eligible maybe for FERS disability as well ? "I was working for the post office" I am not sure there.

As them to consider P & T along with the TDIU award.

I hope everyone adds more opinions here as I am anxious to see if they feel 100% would be more beneficial than TDIU at this point.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your retired on disability under FERS you had to apply for SSD as well. I retired on FERS. I got SSD and then I got TDIU. If you get SSD there will be a 60% offset to your FERS disability, but no effect on your TDIU. I worked for the post office for 20 years until I had to retire due to SC conditions. I would take the TDIU and then if you do get 100% someday your IU will be moot, but you have gotten 100% benefits in the meantime. When you hit your regular retirement age the SSD offset goes away. Then you will have your full post office retirement, SSD and TDIU. That should be enough to pay your bills. You will, in fact, be much better off than your fellow postal workers who worked until regular retirement since you will have TDIU which is tax free. I did not know it at the time, but I make much more money retired than I did as a worker, and I don't pay tax on any of it. I think TDIU is a more secure rating than 100% because the only way to reduce you is if you are dumb enough to go back to work. If you are so disabled that you had to take retirement from the post office then you probably can't do much of any work anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. I was awarded FERS Disability Retirement and about to be rated for PTSD in which I am seeing a VA therapist. Since I am new to this site can you direct me to the explanation for some of the acronyms you are using? For instance TDIU. I know it means total disability I unemployablity but don't know what the I stands for.

Thanks.