VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Va Always Do A C&p, Even For Existing Cond.?

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I submitted a completed 21-4138 a few days ago ( I love VONAPP) based on radiculopathy in my left leg. I am rated in my right leg 10% for it, based on a C & P from 2002. I have not had any requested exams from them since then, and other than acute attacks of pain, dealt with via medication (motrin, ultram, flexaril) and lots of conservative maintenance, I really don't have a lot to contribute to this, information wise. I don't go to the doctor all the time for something I already know how to deal with and I feel self conscious going to the VA anyway since im 33. They don't have a lot of younger vets there, mostly older folks, and I feel really self conscious, but I digress.<br style="min-width: 0px; "> I didn't just waste some raters time, did I? Should I have done it a different way? It's not an overall increase, but a request to consider that the already existing condition in one legs extremeties be granted for the other legs extremities. Should I have, for future reference gone in every time my back hurt or when there was numbness in my left leg? I keep a journal of sorts for this, will that make a difference? ill still have a chance to provide more supporting evidence?

Thanks!

*submission below*

I would like to respectfully request in increase to my currently rated10% radiculopathy in my right leg to include intermittant pain andradiculopathy in my left leg.I was intially rated for DDD, lower spine in 2002, but not specificallyfor radiculopathy. I requested an increase in 2002 for increased sciatic pain andradiculopathy and was granted 10% for my right leg at that time, based onmy examination and case notes. During that examination at that time I wasnot experiencing any tingling or numbness in my left leg, but wasexperienceing sciatic pain radiating from my lower back, and musclespasms and general pain. Over the years since 2002 I have noted that thatpins and needles feeling now extends into my left leg, most noticibly inmy toes. It has always been there, to some degree, and I don't know whyit wasn't noted in 2002 or 2006-most likely through my omitting it duringquestioning or the 2006 exam wasn't related to my back.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">This pain and radiating numbness in both legs is intermittant,and daily,and noted in my initial MRI findings from Portsmouth Naval Medical (Dr.Mayhr (sp)) and sciatic pain and radiculopathy was noted in my C & P in2006 by as well. It was not initially granted with the radiculopathy ofmy right leg, either by oversight, or by omission on my part because Ididn't specifically mention it in conjunction with the other conditions.This daily pain and numbness makes it difficult to enjoy much of my dailyactivty. It starts in my lower spine and extends into my buttocks anddown into both legs. At work I have to change positions every hour 3 or 4times, standing/sitting etc, and the longer I sit the more it hurts. Idon't drive long distance, I don't chase my kids around, I have somedifficulty with exercising and with relations with my wife. The painitself is not more pronounced or increased overall, but its moving into anew region, to me, is notable.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">Please respectfully consider my request for an increase to my 10% ratingfor radiculopathy to either extend to my left leg as a separate rating,or to be included with that of my right leg bilaterally.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">You will find all current information in my C file, the original MRIfindings, and my C & P records and narratve summaries from 2002.Since this is not a substantial increase in anything symptomatic, but anacknowledgement of a continuing condtion, I have not requested specificexams with my GP for this. I continue to take lots of OTC Motrin (800 MGx 4 times a day, sometimes more) and naproxen, and spend a lot of time being reallycareful how I move. I have not requested stronger pain medicationspartially due to fear of their effects, and partially because I work in atechnical job that requires me to be 'sharp' mentally.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">Thank you for your time.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have one other concern....if I show up to my GP with a stack of military medical stuff, is BC/BS going to cover it? Dont' they have some kind of thing about not treating injuries incurred during service? My IVDS, and radiculopathy do not appear in my civvie records at all.....

That is why I reccomended you using your Primary Care Physician at the VA Medical Center! Thereby establishing an INTERNAL paper trail that will be IMPOSSIBLE for the VA to "gloss-over", "overlook", etc., even they can't deny their OWN medical treatment records, or, at least you wouldn't THINK SO.

I have one other concern....if I show up to my GP with a stack of military medical stuff, is BC/BS going to cover it? Dont' they have some kind of thing about not treating injuries incurred during service? My IVDS, and radiculopathy do not appear in my civvie records at all.....

Not really sure what BC/BS is, it maybe your insurance company and if they pay for it or not you still need to be evaluated. Since you are 50% service connected, if you go to the VAMC hospital it is free. VA hospital may or may not try to charge your insurance company but I don't think that would be a big deal. If you live only a few miles from the VA Regional Office then I would suggest that you hand carry you paper work and make sure you get a copy with a date stamp before you leave of every document that you give them. Keep in mind that it may cost you some but you are trying to get an increase in your "monthly" disability.

Edited by pacmanx1

BC/BS-Blue Cross Blue shield.

I just didn't know if I would be jepordizing my family insurance for having my doctor look at this stuff, due to that clause, worded;

"Treatment of injury or sickness because of war, acts of war, or while on active or reserve military duty."

I was in Basic training when I got hurt, so not war/or act of war....technically.......