VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For Combat Or Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

SKIPRAY

Question

First,I want to thank all the posters on this site.I have been reading as much as I can on this site for the past year and have learned so much.

I was finally diagnosed with ptsd from the va.They have been treating me for depression since 1994.My question is should I file for non-combat or combat related depression/ptsd? My stressor for non-combat is easier to prove and is irrefutable.Does it make a difference in benefits which one I file for?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was at the Vet Center with my Psychologist last week and he brought up the subject of non combat PTSD.

He asked me how I feel about the rule changes.

I think he did it to try to piss me off because he knows how I feel about this subject.

I responded that combat vets should get paid double for their PTSD because they probally

suffer from both combat and non combat PTSD. Is PTSD turning into Boots on the Ground?

Bill

I was at the Vet Center with my Psychologist last week and he brought up the subject of non combat PTSD.

He asked me how I feel about the rule changes.

I think he did it to try to piss me off because he knows how I feel about this subject.

I responded that combat vets should get paid double for their PTSD because they probally

suffer from both combat and non combat PTSD. Is PTSD turning into Boots on the Ground?

Bill

This is what I was talking about when I said some people on here love to pounce.

So Bill,I guess someone that was repeatedly waterboarded in S.E.R.E training couldn't possibly suffered any long term effects.Only soldiers that were with YOU should apply is what you are saying?

• HadIt.com Elder

Skip

Were you ever treated for a mental health condition in the service? You need a nexus to service for the depression. If you want to file for PTSD then you need a PTSD DX. Who says you have PTSD? A VA doctor or some kind of shrink needs to DX you and then you have to connect it to your service. Can you do that? It would be easier if your VA shrink would say that your depression was connected to your service. You have years of records saying you have depression. If your shrink says it is connected to service I think you won't have a battle to get SC'ed.

Skip Were you ever treated for a mental health condition in the service? You need a nexus to service for the depression. If you want to file for PTSD then you need a PTSD DX. Who says you have PTSD? A VA doctor or some kind of shrink needs to DX you and then you have to connect it to your service. Can you do that? It would be easier if your VA shrink would say that your depression was connected to your service. You have years of records saying you have depression. If your shrink says it is connected to service I think you won't have a battle to get SC'ed.

I was diagnosed two years after I left the service by a couple VA shrinks for depression.I was recently dx by the VA for ptsd.

• HadIt.com Elder

regardless the pay is the same for 100% even if a veteran files for depression, non-combat PTSD or Combat PTSD the rating is the same you see it even on active duty before they came up with the new award for the Combat Action Badge everyone was jealous of the CIB infantry MOS's got after the first gulf war all of the clerks in the G1 were wearing CIBs and their explanation was they were assigned to a Infantry Division (24th) in a war I asked a CSM about it a day or 2 later he went off the next time I was in the G1 they weren't wearing CIBs anymore a clerk MOS does not qualify for a CIB unless they all had secondary MOS as an 11B or 11C and were doing Infantry duty in the gulf and none of them had so I imagine they were all mad about having to take them off

there is always some jealousy in awards be they "medals, badges or VA compensation checks" there will always be some that think only a certain class deserve the medals or a "badge" or a check I have been watching this for years my Uncle was mad because a helicopter mechanic was getting 100% PTSD and he had been a Engineer in Vietnam and "he had been in combat" and the "mechanic" wasn't we don't have any idea on what that mechanic saw did or experienced but that jealousy over what someone else has or is getting is a waste of energy

any veteran that is getting any benefit I say good they deserve it if they committed FRAUD to get it they deserve the jail sentence they will get also they always get caught we have seen it too many times some times it takes the VA awhile to catch on but they do I have seen veterans claim they were paralyzed when they weren't, claim they were POWs when they weren't they always get caught and they have all gone to jail they are the veterans they are wrong no vet deserves more than any other vet the PROMISE covers it all combat and non combat and I bet no one can show the exception clause in the PROMISE that states anything different and I don't care about "opinions" we all have them and no one cares what does the RULE state?

• HadIt.com Elder

SKIPRAY - I'm sorry if you feel people "pounce" on ya if you ask a question. We certainly don't approve of that and we all want this place to be where you can all come safely for help. There are those who feel just because their PTSD was caused by combat activity their's is worse but to me, if that were the case, MST would be worse. All PTSD is just that . . PTSD. Doesn't matter the cause as the symptoms are the same. War is like many jobs, 95% boredom and 5% shear terror.

As for a VSO, you sound like you're on top of things so why use a VSO. I've found most I've dealt with to be extremely lazy and claiming they are overworked. Many hate that we vets interfere with their golf game. LarryJ is probably the exception. If it were me I'd go it alone. jmo

pr

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "irrefutable" lol.The proof is newspaper articles with dates,names and what happened.I was never going to file after I got out in 1992 because the VA in Baltimore treated me pretty good the first few years.I have moved around the country quite a bit since then and have experienced care that is marginal to unacceptable.When I was homeless in Baltimore,they at least treated me with respect and dignity.In Fayetteville,Nc and here in Vegas,they treat you like crap if you are a homeless vet.The only reason for me filing a claim is because I would rather pay a private doc for care.

Like I said before, I have been reading tons on this site,but am reluctant to post because too many people are ready to pounce on you when you ask a question.

Edited by Philip Rogers